New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drill bit size
 Login/Join

Factor
posted
Anybody know what size drill bit I need for a .54 cal loading block? .530 patched round ball.

Fiddlesticks

As long as there's Limb Bacon a man'll eat! (But mebbe not his wife...)

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
A 9/16 might be a bit loose; try one on a bit of scrap first. A 17/32 would be better. If either is a bit tight, don't enlarge the hole all around but instead take a small rat-tail file and enlarge in a clover-leaf pattern to give room for the patch to fill without scraping off as much patch lube.

Dave D.

Posts: 97 | Location: Shelton, WA | Registered: 23 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Will Ghormley
posted Hide Post
I drilled mine with a 17/32", and sanded it out a bit with some sandpaper wrapped around a dowel.

'Course, ya might not believe what I have ta say.

Will

"When Liberty is illegal, only outlaws will be free." Will Ghormley

In 1913, the gold and silver backed dollar was worth a dollar. Today, that same greenback is worth 3 cents. In just under 100 years, the Federal Reserve Bank has made the dollar virtually worthless. Will Ghormley

"Exploit your strengths. Compensate for your weaknesses." Will Ghormley

Posts: 657 | Location: Ankeny, Iowa | Registered: 28 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
35/64 for a 54, may have to go a bit larger depending on patch. A rat tail file or sand paper on a dowel to inlarge it. Also note that your patch lube may cause the wood to swell abit,so you may want to get a good fit and then lube up the hole(s) for afew days and then check for fit. Bent

Gun Laws?? I'd rather be tried by 12 than have 6 pallbearers

Posts: 26 | Location: Heyburn Idaho | Registered: 23 October 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Thankee, kind sir!

Fiddlesticks

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Here is a list from another site.
cal. bit
.32 21/64
.36 3/8
.40 27/64
.45 29/64
.50 1/2
.54 35/64
.58 19/32
.62 11/64
.75 3/4

I have not made any other than a .50 so you may take a grain of salt with these bit sizes, and some may need some adjustments made. Bent

Gun Laws?? I'd rather be tried by 12 than have 6 pallbearers

Posts: 26 | Location: Heyburn Idaho | Registered: 23 October 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Bentchile - that is a very usefull list! I made a .75 block some time ago, and the 3/4 inch bit worked just fine for ball and waxed paper cartridge.

"The pen maybe mightier than the sword, but at least the sword has a definite point"

Posts: 92 | Location: PA | Registered: 27 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Fiddlesticks, call me silly if ya want, but I just drilled mine out w/a 1/2" drill bit and then sorta give it a reamin'. Finished it up with a rat tail file (I know you are laffin' at me now) and stuck those PRBs right in there.

Well...it does work!! Big Grin

Posts: 721 | Location: TriCities, WA | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dave! I'll see if I've got those kinds of skills before I buy that other bit.

Fiddlesticks

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Sticks...I used a 9/16" drill to make mine. A little loose, yes, but it will hold em in place if you make your block with a 1x piece of wood. 1/4" thick probably wouldn't work. Haven't lost a patched ball yet.

Good luck with whatever choice you make. I hope it works out for you.

L8R...Ken

Posts: 403 | Location: In the Hardwoods of Eastern Iowa | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post