MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Accoutrements    Original Accoutrement Collection
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Original Accoutrement Collection
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of Hunts4Deer
posted
Here is a collection that, supposedly, was kept intact from early 19th century. It has (last photo) a collection of accoutrements including a bullet board and priming horn. I know there is disagreement about the history of those two items. I thought I would post for your information and discussion.

http://contemporarymakers.blog...ouch-carried-by.html

John
Vive le Roy!

Posts: 513 | Location: Colony of Maryland | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Very nice thanks for sharing......B Staley

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Pare-
posted Hide Post
Most of the folks I know all either say bullet boards weren't invented yet, they were recently placed with older items or that they were faked, like the one from 1757. There are a few from the Wnuck Collection that was auctioned off several years ago. So, were they used in the 18th c.? I honestly don't know. But, if they are faked, what sources are we supposed to trust? Either way, they aren't much different than a cartridge box.

http://www.cottoneauctions.com...ents&accessories.htm

Pare-

Posts: 104 | Location: Little River, I.T. | Registered: 06 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
A bullet board ain't rocket science and people 200 ears ago had brains just as big as people today. If it makes sense for me and you I guess it occurred to someone else, who had more at stake. I know we have to be able to document items for juried events, but we can use common sense the rest of the time.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Pare-
posted Hide Post
Well said! Common sense was documented.

Pare-

Posts: 104 | Location: Little River, I.T. | Registered: 06 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Agree, very well said.

In the words of a famous paleontologist:
"The present is the key to the past"

Rio

Posts: 140 | Registered: 18 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post