New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rum horn
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Been looking at getting a rum horn but after reading the post on drinking horn cups I’m wondering if the rum would have a bad taste after being in the horn with only a coating of bees wax......B Staley

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Staley:

Stay tuned for ferder develements.
smallcrow1

Posts: 45 | Location: Grand Rapids mich. | Registered: 21 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
B hehehe not usually as the rum doesn't stay in the horn for a long enough period to take on much flavor LOL, if anything if its in the horn for a week or so with the bees wax lining it may have a bit of a sweeter taste to the discerning palete but not much else. Its best to return the adult beverage to the bottle it came from once home if it is going to sit for a time and let the horn dry. Also as the horn is not REALLY air tight if the alcohol is left in it, it will eventually evaporate away and that would be a shame to waste a good drink in such a way LOL -- just some thoughts YMHS Birdman

Posts: 964 | Location: south eastern Pa | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Though I've never tried a rum horn, there's just something about pulling from an honest earthen jug that makes it all feel and taste right. Big Grin

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Staley:

Look at my reply under drinking horn cups.
smallcrow

Posts: 45 | Location: Grand Rapids mich. | Registered: 21 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
smallcrow
Thanks let me know how it works out....B Staley

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Mr. Staley:

Had some personal things come up, so put the cup on the back burner. Started on it again. Go the bottom done. Have to stain it and put about 3 coats of poly on it. Then comes to coating on the inside. I'm going for 3 coats on that.

Ooops. got ta put the bottom in first. About 4 days to do the above. and about two weeks for the inside coats.

smallcrow

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
How's the rum horn coming along?

Posts: 111 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Mr. B

I have to start over on making the cup. There was a bad spot inside that was working through.
Am just going to make some type of container out of this one.
However, when I get the bottom glued and pinned, I will try the epoxy and put hot water in it to see if it does hold.
Will keep you informed.

smallcrow1@att.net

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Use brewers pitch ... it is mre resistant then bees wax...
Jas and Townsend has it ... I used it succesfully on leaking wooden canteens - great stuff and HC PC...

Posts: 12 | Location: Antwerp - Belgium | Registered: 29 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post