New
Find
Notify
Tools

Going back to Goex
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
I have about 6 lbs of this Graf's reenactor powder left and when that is finished I am going back to Goex - this stuff I am shooting is so damned dirty it takes forever to clean my rifles. I mean I swap with soap and water 3 or 4 times - then run dry patches and I am still getting fouling on the clean patches

This stuff sucks

"But I swear, a woman's breast is the hardest rock that the Almighty ever made on this earth, and I can find no sign on it." Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Posts: 516 | Location: Ft Parker/Ft Manuel Lisa | Registered: 15 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
I've had great results from Goex and wouldn't even think about that Graf's stuff. Find a reenactor or cannon shooter that can use it and don't look back.
Mark

Posts: 68 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 31 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
Goex has always been great for me...plus I like the Red & Black cans...LOL

Flintlock Rifles & Smoothbores
Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Don't bother experimenting with Diamondback powder then either. It's the same stuff that the old Elephant was years ago. We use it for blanks in reenacting as it was almost $4 cheaper per can than Goex when we bought powder, but now Goex has reenactor powder which is only $1 more expensive than Diamondback..., the advantage in cleaning far outweighs the cost difference. I only shoot live with regular Goex 3Fg. Big Grin

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Fincastle
posted Hide Post
Speaking of powder, does anyone know of a source where one can purchase just one or two cans? Or are those days just gone. I know of several where I can obviously get an entire case, but I just need a couple pounds of Goex FFFg.......

A nod's as good as a blink to a blind horse

Posts: 143 | Location: Indiana Territory | Registered: 22 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
I've just never seen a reason to go away from good old standard Goex. Like most of us I've put in a lot of time with it and everything I shoot is already sighted in for it. Never could really see what the deal is with the reenactor stuff. Save a couple of bucs?

You can typically pick up a can or two of Goex at Bass Pro or Cabellas if you have one close, but it is expensive. Some places will sell a half case (12 cans). Should never really have less than this anyhow (personal opinion). Kind of like buying flints 2 or 3 at a time. Never made sense to me.

Rio

Posts: 140 | Registered: 18 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Goex is an excellent powder and has been my choice above all others for a long time. I'm currently using Jacks Battle Powder (made by Goex) which is also excellent and a bit cheaper than Goex. JBP is only available in 3F so any other grade has to be the flagship brand. They appear to be basically interchangeable.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of 1720Todd
posted Hide Post
I have been using Goex for a long time. I tried several other brands, maybe it's me, but I have always had the best luck with Goex.

I've gotten some from Powder, Inc. Very happy with them. They sell in 5lb lots.

Posts: 88 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 07 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Fincastle
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rio, I'll ck with Bass Pro again, last time I was there all they had was pyrodex.

A nod's as good as a blink to a blind horse

Posts: 143 | Location: Indiana Territory | Registered: 22 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Night Owl
posted Hide Post
Fincastle,

I've had the same problem over the years of not needing an entire case, etc. I now usually just go in on a 25 lb. order with one or two friends to split the cost to something more reasonable.

Posts: 265 | Location: Upper Peninsula of Michigan | Registered: 03 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I started muzzle loading in the early 1970's and of source, that included the use of GOEX black powder. All of my muzzleloaders are sighted in with it so why change. why mess with success? I now get my black powder from Coonies in New Mexico.

I get all four grading's, 1Fg for a large black powder cartridge rifle, 2Fg for both 45-70's and many muzzleloaders, 3 Fg for those of 45 cal and smaller, and a fist full of handguns.

Load fast and aim slow.

Posts: 1726 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I get my powder from Craig Kirkland (Bear River Powder) in Wyoming and can't see myself ever changing, as long as he is in business. Maybe a muzzleloader club in your area could fix you up with powder.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
I've always shot with Goex and it has been pretty good to me. However, last spring I did a primitive camp with a few Boy Scouts. My car was out of commision so my daughter gave me and my camp a ride in her truck. After "thorouly" checking to see that everything was unloaded she drove home with my powder horn. Rather than call her back my friend who's land we were camping on lent me his horn full of Dupont powder. That is the cleanest stuff I ever used. The Scouts shot between 30 and 40 rounds from my rifle and the last shot loaded as easily as the 3rd (which went down well). Not once did I have to wipe between shots. Cleanup was a breeze also. That stuff is amazing.

Posts: 62 | Registered: 06 October 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Too bad it isn't made any longer. Wish it was. (Unless they've brought it back on the market.)

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
As far as I know it's illegal to have in your possesion more than 5 lbs of black powder. Don't know how they can sell a private citizen a case of 24 lbs.

Posts: 210 | Location: Fingerlakes | Registered: 02 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
50 pounds without special storage requirements. Unless your state has more restrictive regulations.
quote:
Originally posted by LEW:
As far as I know it's illegal to have in your possesion more than 5 lbs of black powder. Don't know how they can sell a private citizen a case of 24 lbs.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
New York is very restrictive. Don't know the details, but know it's hard to find. As far as I know no one is selling it from a store. That's tells the story.

Posts: 210 | Location: Fingerlakes | Registered: 02 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Is Graf's real black powder or a sub.?
Goex is currently the standard by which other real bp is judged. I used it for a long time but my supply is about gone. But I do have good supplies of Schuetzen and Swiss.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of captchee
posted Hide Post
i hate to disagree but i allways found Dupont to be as dirty as elephant . in fact i still have a case out in the shop .
Craig (bear River powder ) called me a couple years back and said he had bought out another fellas bunker which had all this old depont in it . since it was being offered at 1/2 the cost of Goex , some friends and i bought 150lbs .
as i said , still have most of my case from that order .

Posts: 687 | Location: Payette ,Idaho | Registered: 23 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the evaluation,Captchee,gotta stay up to date on the stuff out there....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post