New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pattern for possibles bag??
 Login/Join

<mtnmike>
posted
Finney ol pal,,I got one cobbled together Roll Eyes But I do appreciate it all the same Wink

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Cool beans.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mtnmike:
Finney ol pal,,I got one cobbled together Roll Eyes But I do appreciate it all the same Wink

Show us a picture! Don't be shy, we'd like to see it no matter how it looks!

Posts: 214 | Location: Big Arm Montana | Registered: 17 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Fincastle
posted Hide Post
Yeah,

Let's be for havin' a look see at your sew in' man, we're all friends here. I'm currently working out a pattern for a hair on fowler pouch, I'm looking for a nice hair on goat hide..... I've never done one so it may turn out kinda dodgy lookin', but oh well.

A nod's as good as a blink to a blind horse

Posts: 143 | Location: Indiana Territory | Registered: 22 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hope it serves you well. It only has to please you and serve your needs.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of Montour
posted Hide Post
http://www.brooklynmuseum.org/..._Bag_or_Possible_Bag

Looking thru all these original possibles bags, it should be pretty easy to make

Posts: 150 | Location: Right where Im standing | Registered: 07 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Notchy Bob
posted Hide Post
The current issue of Muzzleloader just arrived a few days ago. The "do it yourself" article by T.C Albert is all about replicating an original hair-on hunting pouch (with patterns and instructions) with the powder horn and measure that came with it.

He used hair-on skin from a young goat, laminated to a vegetable tanned leather base. If you don't want the hair on it, you could just use the plain leather.

I have no doubt there were some very nice and very elaborate pouches back in the Shining Times, but I think a lot of the originals were pretty simple. I believe fabric linings, brass rings, and multiple pockets were probably less common. Museums and collectors typically go for the best, the finest, the superlative examples. These are the ones we often see on display. I suspect a lot of the plain and simple ones mouldered away hanging in old barns and smokehouses. The one Mr. Albert replicates in the Muzzleloader article is really very basic and functional. I find it very appealing.

The pouch article is a nice complement to Mike Nesbitt's column in the same issue about the basic necessities to put in the pouch for a day's shooting.

Good luck with your project, Hoss.

Notchy bob

"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us. Should have rode horses. Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Posts: 333 | Location: Florida | Registered: 24 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Yes..its a nice little pouch southern mountain pouch still belonging to a decedent of the family that originally made it...and the rifle it served. The old horn is pretty nice too...
tc

Posts: 29 | Registered: 04 May 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Notchy Bob
posted Hide Post
It was an interesting article, TC. Well written and very informative. I like to see the old time "workhorse" guns and gear getting their due, along with the fancy stuff. The techniques discussed in these articles are just as important as the items themselves.

I hope you'll keep that column going for as long as you can.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us. Should have rode horses. Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Posts: 333 | Location: Florida | Registered: 24 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the good words Bob...
keeping the stories coming is my plan for sure.
Thanks again,
tc

Posts: 29 | Registered: 04 May 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post