Find
Notify
Tools

More Doodads
 Login/Join

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted
Been busy the past few days and here's what happened.

Started off as a ball pouch but took a wrong turn somewhere along the line. What would you call it, a bulb, I guess? Kinda looks like a walrus.

This is a belt carry ball/flint/patch pouch with an antler closure button.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Ha ha, but it still works and that what counts. I'll take a handmade "bulb" gift over a store bought manufactured one any day. Its the sweat and love you put into it that makes it worth more than anything you could sell it for.

Posts: 85 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 06 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
I would never put another mans work down.. I have a few homemade articles that have received the "that's interesting" award!

PAL :-)

"The pen maybe mightier than the sword, but at least the sword has a definite point"

Posts: 92 | Location: PA | Registered: 27 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of LeeRoy
posted Hide Post
I like your pouches.I am sure they will be put to good use.

When I want to make some usefull item. I will start going through the leftover box, then it takes on the shape of what I have to work with.

LeeRoy

Keep your powder dry.

Posts: 171 | Location: Southern Nevada | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Looks like thoughs will work just fine.

Don

Posts: 154 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: 08 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Cado
posted Hide Post
I think they look just fine and its always more fun to take items you made yourself and put them to good use. I just bought a buffalo horn and plan to try my hand at making a powderhorn out of it when I get time.

Posts: 617 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Those DooDads look just fine to me. Nothing that I have never made anything that is perfect either...you only see the perfect stuff in the stores. They have character. It's for you and it works...that's all that'n needed.

I have made most things that I have...speaking doodads here...not guns...and I use all my stuff and I'm proud of them. None are picture perfect but highly functional. I take great pride in making my own stuff...it's part of the culture I think.

Good looking belt bag and ball 'bulb'...don't change a thing.

Thanks for the pic's...looks great.

L8R...Ken

Posts: 403 | Location: In the Hardwoods of Eastern Iowa | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Ain't it fun just to make stuff you know you will use? I've learned a lot just seeing what others have posted.

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of wattlebuster
posted Hide Post
I like it plus handmade at that Big Grin

Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a crisp frosty morning

Posts: 354 | Location: Heart of DIXIE | Registered: 18 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Congrats on making yer own stuff. Lookin' good. Not wanting to "put down" what you are doing but, IMHO, little critique might help with future projects. The thread you used for stitiching give a reall 'nylon fake' appearance to me. Not having access to enuf real sinew for projects, I have long looked for a proper subsitute. I picked up a ball of hemp string some time ago. It easily comes apart to make threads. Or, I often braid for heavier uses. Very strong, natural and looks good.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Looks good to me. Normally when I make stuff I get umm what is that. I have fun doing it and no one ever mistakes for store bought. Smiler

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rifleman1776:
Congrats on making yer own stuff. Lookin' good. Not wanting to "put down" what you are doing but, IMHO, little critique might help with future projects. The thread you used for stitiching give a reall 'nylon fake' appearance to me. Not having access to enuf real sinew for projects, I have long looked for a proper subsitute. I picked up a ball of hemp string some time ago. It easily comes apart to make threads. Or, I often braid for heavier uses. Very strong, natural and looks good.

Good stuff there Rifleman, I have some Irish Linen that I was and use sometimes...but I still like the artificial sinew in some cases (mostly working with leather).

When I have the nylon doubled on the needle, I twist and wax excessively...if you run it between your fingers for a while, the wax will heat up a bit and soak into the nylon. It stays put(doesn't unravel) better that way. Then when I am done stitching, I reapply more wax on the nylon and the leather. Keep doing the wax on occassion and you'll never notice that it's fake.

L8R...Ken

Posts: 403 | Location: In the Hardwoods of Eastern Iowa | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of draken
posted Hide Post
Never apologize for your work. If you're striving for period correctness, you are closer to it than any picture-perfect item.

Dick

Gun control means being able to call your shots

Posts: 39 | Location: Middleport, NY | Registered: 06 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Rifleman, you're correct of course. Not being able to find what I needed put me in the position to use (ready for this?) dental tape! Since then I've found some heavy, green cotton cord which will be better than tape. Still looking for linen thread.

Greenhorn
Picture of draken
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rifleman, you're correct of course. Not being able to find what I needed put me in the position to use (ready for this?) dental tape! Since then I've found some heavy, green cotton cord which will be better than tape. Still looking for linen thread.

Hanshi,

This is where I get mine: http://www.campbell-bosworth.c...index.php/cPath/6_71

Dick

Gun control means being able to call your shots

Posts: 39 | Location: Middleport, NY | Registered: 06 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link, draken. I see some materials there that will come in handy, especially the thread.