New
Find
Notify
Tools

Antique Bag
 Login/Join

Graybeard
posted
I was very fortunate to be gifted a shot bag last weekend, by a good friend Smiler.

The thought is that this bag comes from the Pemmaquid/Bristol area of Maine.

It has been a great study piece. It measures 7" wide by 8" tall - wnen the top is stretched out. It was a reversed stitched bag that had a 1" full gusset with a small welt on each side. The front of the body and the flap are out of pigskin,...the rest appears to be cows hide. There are no pockets, only a singular pouch. It showed many repairs, including one done in sinew. There is evidence remaining of linen web.

After carefully examining the bag, I made a set of patterns. I used some lightweight material, glues, and keeper stitching to make some quick test bags. The patterns were then modified and adjusted for fit.

I make no claims for the bags strap...as most the original is missing. My version of the strap is simple conjecture based on other bags I have examined.

But the bags body is as close to the original as I can get.

Pease

Posts: 238 | Registered: 08 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hiya, Pease!

Looks' like you did yourself proud with that bag. Doing hands on research is a lot of fun.

Regards, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 532 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
I also like the bag....the flap is a cool design. Looks like a good size as well.
Thanks for sharing.
Andy

Follow me I am the Infantry

Posts: 668 | Location: Everson, Washington | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Well done. Big thumbs up.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Night Owl
posted Hide Post
Ditto...looks like you did a nice job!

Posts: 265 | Location: Upper Peninsula of Michigan | Registered: 03 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Pease, very interesting original and nice job on your version. It looks great.

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Nice work. I too often on a small project cut a pattern from stiff paper and tape or glue it together so I can get a 3D look.

I never have been much for drinking the kool-aid.It's not in my nature.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central Pennsyltucky | Registered: 12 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of VaterSlote
posted Hide Post
I too like how you interpreted the flap. Seems to me that the hand will slip across and the flap will fold upwards to open nicely for you. Enjoy, and take time to smell the sulphur.
Rob

"The Black Powder Pastor"

Posts: 3 | Location: Kirkland Lake, Ontario CANADA | Registered: 16 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post