New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Shooting Bag
 Login/Join

Graybeard
posted
Finishing up a new shooting bag. Loose intrepretation of one of TC Alberts bags from his recent book. Mine sports four interior pockets to keep me better organized, and the knife and ball starter on the strap. Thinking of making a small accessories wallet for it...to carry my tools.

Posts: 238 | Registered: 08 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
nice job, looks great. Mark

Posts: 164 | Location: Burlington, Wisconsin | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
That is a nice bag. I always thought putting the short starter on the strap to be a good idea and that's also what I do. Your workmanship is really good.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
with four inside pockets it should be a good tote looks like a good F&I era bag nice work

Posts: 86 | Location: North central Alabama, Limestone County, Athens | Registered: 09 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Nice looking bag, good work.

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Deadeye
posted Hide Post
Nice looking bag! Did you hand stitch that or use a machine?

Can you show more pics of the inside....I'd love to have that... Big Grin

Posts: 1452 | Location: Good Ole USA of course! | Registered: 15 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Hand done, pretty much all saddle stitched. I piped the edges inside the bag. The flap is also a pocket to hold cleaning patches...

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Real nice work !! If you get into the business I've got an extra stiching vice.

Posts: 18 | Location: Vassalboro, Maine | Registered: 25 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Hi Dick,.... Big Grin

Bring it to Fall Vous,... I'll cheat you out of it. Wink

Pease

Booshway
Picture of Deadeye
posted Hide Post
A stitching vise.....that sounds like something that would have helped me stitch my bags and straps. I'll have to check out one of those.

Posts: 1452 | Location: Good Ole USA of course! | Registered: 15 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Deadeye,
If you can't find one or they are too expensive, use two 'C' clamps and two boards. Real cheap and you can turn your set up around in your hands.
León

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Mine is a old large saw vice with a ball socket base. It will turn to any angle. I ground off some of the area that limited how far the jaws will spread, allowing it to hold several layers of heavy leather....

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
The vices that I make up are patterned after a harness makers vice that my dad used but without the seat. Google "lacing pony" and you can get some ideas. Avoid projecting bolts, wing nuts and sharp angles, they will constantly grab your thread and make you swear. I'll try to post a photo of what works for me.

Posts: 18 | Location: Vassalboro, Maine | Registered: 25 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Thats a fine looking bag. You've done good.

Posts: 117 | Location: Texas Panhandle, North of the Canadian | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R.I.Jerolmon:
The vices that I make up are patterned after a harness makers vice that my dad used but without the seat. Google "lacing pony" and you can get some ideas. Avoid projecting bolts, wing nuts and sharp angles, they will constantly grab your thread and make you swear. I'll try to post a photo of what works for me.

Dick,

You going to the Windsor Fair for the demo? I plan on being there the first weekend...

Bear camp is also that week...

Pease

Free Trapper
Picture of LeeRoy
posted Hide Post
I am making myself a possibles pouch. I would like to have a couple pockets or some way to keep seperated inside the pouch.

Would you show a pic of the inside of yours?

Some of the pic's just show up as red x's for some reason.

LeeRoy

Keep your powder dry.

Posts: 171 | Location: Southern Nevada | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
LeeRoy,

Not sure about why you see the red x's....

All these pics are of the bag, before it was flipped. So these pics are inside out...

Cap pouches

Tool pouch

Flap pouch after flipping...

Free Trapper
Picture of LeeRoy
posted Hide Post
I think your bag is great!!

Thanks for showing, it helps me to see what I am wanting to do before putting my bag together. If that makes any sence.

My bag is still in the thinking and cutting stage.

Keep your powder dry.

LeeRoy

Keep your powder dry.

Posts: 171 | Location: Southern Nevada | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
If you can, get a copy of TC Alberts...Recreating the 18th Century Hunting Pouch....

Available here at.....

http://store.scurlockpublishin...pouchbytcalbert.aspx

Money, well spent...!

Pease

Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
Pease, Nice bag!
~Josh

"Return unto me, and I will return unto you," saith the Lord of hosts.
~Malachi 3:7b

Posts: 297 | Location: MI | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post