New
Find
Notify
Tools

Capper
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
Run across this capper at a flea market at a good price so I bought it... Wandering is anyone would know is it is the real deal or just a repro and what it would be worth... I dont see how to add more pictures so ill add them bellow...

Posts: 12 | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
picture 2

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
picture 3

Booshway
Picture of SCLoyalist
posted Hide Post
Larger photos would help. Take a look at:
http://www.worthpoint.com/wort...cap-dispenser-capper

That first picture of yours shows some sort of cover, maybe like this one:

Yours is in better shape, if it's the same model. The description is: This antique French PERCUSSION CAP DISPENSER or CAPPER. It was made in France around 1840 - 1860.

I haven't seen a repro of one like you bought (based on that small cover), so maybe yours is an original. No idea on value.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SCLoyalist,

Here's a health to the King and a lasting Peace. May Faction end and Wealth increase....Old Loyalist Ballad

Posts: 767 | Location: Panhandle Florida | Registered: 02 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
the one in that link is in bad condition... couldn't see what it sold for though... I thought it was cool that this actually works and everything is snug as far as the locking cover and the other moving parts and has very little wear if any... picked up for 10$ so I think I done good either way... would it have a number on it somewhere if it was original ?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bugman9,

Booshway
Picture of SCLoyalist
posted Hide Post
Here's another that appears similar to yours, though not identical:

http://en.wikicollecting.org/b...enser-270912-lot-134

Paterson Colt Cappers have some of the same characteristics - even repros bring between
$50 and $100, so I'm pretty sure your $10 investment was a good one. If you could take
it to a gun show that emphasized muzzleloaders and ML collectibles you could possibly find
somebody who could tell for sure if it is an antique.

Happy Priming. SCL

Here's a health to the King and a lasting Peace. May Faction end and Wealth increase....Old Loyalist Ballad

Posts: 767 | Location: Panhandle Florida | Registered: 02 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info... it gave me a idea... Im gonna take it to a collector I know that collects antique percussion fire arms and things that goes along with them and maybe he could tell me for sure...

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Well got hold of the collector and he said it is the real deal... he looked it up in one of his reference books and had a price of 830.00... 3 years old his books are...

Booshway
posted Hide Post
It is worth only what someone will pay for it. Anything else is just someone's opinion, and we all know what that means. In any case it looks to be worth more than you actually paid. Nice find.

Posts: 332 | Location: South Coast (MS) | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
That's cool.Now you gotta decide whether to use it or not.....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Well even if it was a repro you got a good price for it. It being original, you got a real treasure. I always get second opinions on stuff like that, so when you get a chance, get an independent opinion on its origin. I'd also put it in a shadow box and only display it as it's still working that means very collectable.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post