Find
Notify
Tools

New Horn
 Login/Join

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted

Thought I'd post this. I was looking for an clean cow horn to make into another powder horn (still am). I found this on sale on the TOW site and had to have it. The strap is just temp until I come up with something nicer. Antiqued, already.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention it was less than a cleaned cow horn $10!

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Just bought two cleaned horns at a Market Fair and they cost me 10 each. Sure do like that one. Post picture of strap when done please.

Posts: 81 | Location: Louisville Ky | Registered: 16 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
Like the color of the horn. Looks to be a nice size as well. I would also like to see the strap when you are done. Thanks,
Andy

Follow me I am the Infantry

Posts: 668 | Location: Everson, Washington | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Bradley Creek
posted Hide Post
Now you have me excited! Just ordered one on Friday from TOW. Your pic is better than on the web sites. Don't know what i'm going to use for a strap yet. Don't know a lot about horn straps.

Posts: 3 | Location: IN. | Registered: 07 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Wich one is it on tracks sight?

Posts: 232 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 10 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
It was featured in their email add I received and was one of the items on sale.

I don't know anything about straps, either, but picked up a role of 3" wide jute which I split down the middle. It unravels on the cut side so I use rubber cement to coat the edge and that seems to keep it from unraveling. It's not ideal but does work. I'll probably make the strap from it. Here's a pic of another bag I made and used the jute material for the strap. It doesn't look too bad with the natural color of the jute.

Factor
posted Hide Post
Hanshi,

I have some of that jute in various widths...I think I got the narrower pieces online, but the wide ones like you have I found in a store selling upholstery materials IIRC.

Sparks

"I thought when you said you chased tornadoes, it was just a metaphor."
--soon to be ex-fiance in Twister

Posts: 247 | Location: Boise | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Sparks, would you believe 3" was the narrowest strap they sold? I was hoping to find something better locally, and I will still be moseying around checking. Meanwhile, it's really not bad for the purpose.

Greenhorn
Picture of Bradley Creek
posted Hide Post
Nice looking bag too! Guess i'll have to check around for some jute, appears to look and work well. I need to teach myself to make a lot of this stuff. Pretty cool when you make it, instead of buying it.

The American backwoodsman -- clad in his hunting shirt, the product of his domestic industry, and fighting for the country he loves, he is more than a match for the vile but splendid mercenary of a European despot.”

William Henry Harrison

Posts: 3 | Location: IN. | Registered: 07 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Like to make my own stuff too. That way you can make it the way you want it. I use a lot of rawhide strips and plat them to make a stronger strap.

Posts: 81 | Location: Louisville Ky | Registered: 16 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I have lots of uses for rawhide, but no rawhide. Dog chews are okay for very small projects but that's about all. Where do you get your rawhide, blackie?

Bradley, jute does look good and works just fine for straps; better, IMHO, than some other materials.

Factor
posted Hide Post
Hanshi,
Tandy Leather Factory/Leathercrafters sells rawhide, but it tends to be a little seasonal.

I like dealing with Springfield Leather Company of Missouri, and they have some in stock...got your choice of cow or goat rawhide. Go here and put rawhide in their search function on the right below the merchandise pics.

http://springfieldleather.com/

Sparks

Posts: 247 | Location: Boise | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Hanshi,
A couple places for various sizes of hemp fabric webbing. Prices listed on the sites are per running yard.

These guys have lower prices on their webbing than the second link. I think this is the kind I have...at least it has that pattern.

http://hempbasics.com/shop/eco...ow/Hemp-Webbing.html

http://www.hemptraders.com/ind...6e54e3fd7cd25b17e877

The wider stuff is also useful in your tinder box to separate char from your flint, steel and tinder.

Sparks

Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Hsnshi, got mine at a Market Fair last year. All they had was narrow strips but work for what I needed.