New
Find
Notify
Tools

vent pick
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Would someone tell me where to get the stiff wire that vent picks are made of?

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Piano wire

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post

Posts: 122 | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Sewing needle

It's not the first time, I've protected my hair, in just such a manner.

Posts: 44 | Location: Independence, MO. | Registered: 28 September 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
three penny finish nail.

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Large safety pin.

Fastens to the inside of your hunting shirt sleeve so you don't loose it.

Works well securing your deer tag to the deer after you insert the tag into the deer's ear.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Hunts4Deer
posted Hide Post
Brass rods at hardware stores come in about 1 foot lengths and quite a few small diameter sizes. You should be able to find one just the right size dia. Then cut to length and bend the end to make a loop for whatever lanyard system you choose. The pointy end works best (in my opinion) when it is filed off square and not a point. One rod will yield several picks. Being brass they look great as they tarnish.

John
Vive le Roy!

Posts: 513 | Location: Colony of Maryland | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Loyalist Dave,,,multi tasking,, I like it would it have to be PC/HC?? to be accepted. Safety pin could hold your sash in place,, adjust the length of straps!!!! lots of other uses,,I like it.

Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Still waiting on my first flintlock to get here but I've always carried a safety pin to use as a nipple pick for my cap lock guns.

Posts: 214 | Location: Big Arm Montana | Registered: 17 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Thank's fellers.

Factor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Loyalist Dave,,,multi tasking,, I like it would it have to be PC/HC?? to be accepted. Safety pin could hold your sash in place,, adjust the length of straps!!!! lots of other uses,,I like it.

LOL Big Grin

When it comes to actually making the flinter go BANG, a hang-fire or a flash-in-the-pan isn't all that safe on a target range and usually means not getting the venison so..., SOD the PC stuff and it's hidden up your shirt sleeve anyway...

LD

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Del Gue:
Sewing needle

Needles not a good idea. They are stiff and brittle. Would be bad news to break one off inside the touch hole.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I got some stiff piano wire yesterday and now I'm going to make some picks with deer antler on one end. Thanks for the replies.

Free Trapper
Picture of LeeRoy
posted Hide Post
Great minds work in like ways.
Photo's would take the mystery out of the great ideas.

LeeRoy

Keep your powder dry.

Posts: 171 | Location: Southern Nevada | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Stophel
posted Hide Post
I've only had to use a vent pick ONCE. I loaded the first shot of the day without really cleaning the oil out of the bore. Oil blocked touch hole, so I had to poke some grains of fine powder into it to get it to reach the main charge. Otherwise, I have never had a use for one... and that could have been done with a small whittled stick.

Posts: 48 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 02 August 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I use brass wire about 16/18 guage.

Posts: 4 | Location: Georgia, USA | Registered: 09 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I have rarely needed one, but when I do its a good thing to have.

So, I took a very small, thin nail and I sunk it into the end of a 1/4" dowel. I cut off the nail head and filed it just enough to take the burr off. The dowel handle I cut down so that it is only about 2" long. The nail sticks out about 1/2" from the end of the dowel. So, the whole thing is about 2 1/2" long.

I keep it in a leather pouch in my shooting bag along with my ramrod attachments such as my jag, ball puller, etc.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I don't know about you folks but...,

my Karma is such that if I don't have a vent pick, that's when the vent will clog. If I don't have a spare couple of flints, that's when the flint in the lock will drop out. If I didn't reload and wait 20 minutes before going after the deer, that's when a second deer would wander by or that's when I'd find the deer I had shot, and need a second shot..., and so on.., and so on...

Big Grin

LD

Booshway
posted Hide Post
I'm with LD.....Smiler

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Much rather have it and not need it,,than need it and not have it.