Find
Notify
Tools

Wilderness Bag
 Login/Join

Pilgrim
Picture of Spotted Bull
posted
In the ministry that I am involved in there are three different levels, the top-most of which is called Wilderness. To get there you have to go through testing and an all-night prayer vigil. One of the requirements is to make a trade item and donate it to a missions auction.

Naturally, my trade is leather working. :shock:

So here is the bag that I made.

3 oz veg tan leather bag hand sewn with waxed linen thread. Front pocket has little pocket in the top of it. Its a piece of leather sewn inside the front of the bag, with a piece cut out to access it from the front pocket. Plus, that same piece is open in the bottom of the inside of the front section...anyway, its a double bag with the back section having a tapered gusset and both have a rolled welt. Dark red 100% wool cross insert on the font of the flap. Strap is adjustable with a forged iron buckle courtesy of Guarding Wolf forge! Dyed black with vinegaroon dye and oiled up with bear grease! ALL comments and critiques welcomed.

It is pitiful when a man lets his ego push his intelligence beyond his ignorance.

Posts: 55 | Location: Waxahachie, TX | Registered: 20 December 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of LeeRoy
posted Hide Post
Another bag anyone would carry with pride.

LeeRoy

Keep your powder dry.

Posts: 171 | Location: Southern Nevada | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Night Owl
posted Hide Post
Bull,

As a bag maker myself, I can say it looks like you did a fantastic job! Well done!

Posts: 265 | Location: Upper Peninsula of Michigan | Registered: 03 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of Spotted Bull
posted Hide Post
Many thanks!

It is pitiful when a man lets his ego push his intelligence beyond his ignorance.

Posts: 55 | Location: Waxahachie, TX | Registered: 20 December 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
It looks terrific great work!

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of VaterSlote
posted Hide Post
Personally love the look of this bag. Would fit in we'll as my 'black bear' hunting bag! And as a minister of the gospel, I love the red wool cross... I love wool being in northern Canada.
Rob

"The Black Powder Pastor"

Posts: 3 | Location: Kirkland Lake, Ontario CANADA | Registered: 16 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Nice work.Did you forge the buckle?

I never have been much for drinking the kool-aid.It's not in my nature.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central Pennsyltucky | Registered: 12 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
That is excellent work.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of Spotted Bull
posted Hide Post
No I did not forge the buckle. It was made by a friend in Florida, who owns Guarding Wolf Forge.

Greenhorn
Picture of Woodyrock
posted Hide Post
Very nice work. I like the clean even stitching.

Posts: 36 | Location: Wet side of Warshington | Registered: 30 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Are you an FCF'r??

Posts: 2 | Registered: 02 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of Spotted Bull
posted Hide Post
yes sir I am. I am the Buckskin Rep for the Shawnee Trail chapter.

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Very cool, North Star chapter here. Good lookin bag, I'm sure someone will enjoy it!

Posts: 2 | Registered: 02 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Definitely fine work.
Don't keep it a secret. What is FCF?

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Fine Work Indeed! Thanks for showing.

Posts: 117 | Location: Texas Panhandle, North of the Canadian | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of Spotted Bull
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rifleman1776:
Definitely fine work.
Don't keep it a secret. What is FCF?

FCF stands for Frontiersman Camping Fellowship. The Assemblies of God have a boy's ministry called Royal Rangers, where we evangelize, equip, and empower boys to be life-long Christian Servant Leaders, both in church and in the community. FCF is a part of that ministry. We are a group, somewhat set apart, as an elite corp of campers and outdoors enthusiasts both leaders and boys. Our motto is "Ad dare servir"...To give and to serve.

Oh...its also a pre-1840's group!

we use all the "stuff" associated with the Pre-1840's reenacting as a means to draws men and boys into a friendship with us, so that our gear, names, trades, etc. can be a witness to these guys for Jesus Christ.

I know in our chapter, when there is an altar call at a service at our major District campouts, we as FCF members always man the altar to pray and help out.

Greenhorn
Picture of bangfxr
posted Hide Post
There was a fellow I knew in Kansas who was an ordained Episcopal minister who carried his testament in a bag similar to yours but not as ornate as yours at CW events. That is a nice piece of work.

Families sleep peaceably in their beds at night as there are rough men about who will do violence in their behalf.

Posts: 48 | Location: Indianapolis. | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the explanation Spotted Bull. I was a Royal Ranger when I was a kid. Great program.

Posts: 117 | Location: Texas Panhandle, North of the Canadian | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I think I was a Royal Ranger for a short period of time......Being a Navy Brat isn't conducive to long term memberships,and it WAS a very long time ago.....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
FCF. Somewhere in my travels during the week I pass a church that has a banner on the front in yellow and red that says FCF church. I was trying to figure out what it was.I am thinking it's in Maryland on the soutbound side of route 15 between Frederick and PA stateline.

I never have been much for drinking the kool-aid.It's not in my nature.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central Pennsyltucky | Registered: 12 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post