MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Accoutrements    lead shot for casting round balls
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

lead shot for casting round balls
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
I AM HAVING A HARD TIME FINDING PURE LEAD WHERE I LIVE I HAVE A SUPPLY OF LEAD SHOT FOR SHOTGUN RELOADING CAN I MELT THIS DOWN TO CAST ROUND BALLS

Posts: 7 | Registered: 26 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Newoodsrunner
posted Hide Post
hawken where do you live ? i might beable to help you BTW welcome to the fire you can find friendly and helpful folks here

Posts: 461 | Location: SW Okla | Registered: 02 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
thank you i am new to this forum stuff i may be slow, i live east of albq. nm in a ruarl area

Booshway
Picture of Newoodsrunner
posted Hide Post
you must have a metal recyling plant near you that is where i get alot of my lead also check with plumbers or roofers they work with lead you might beable lead real cheap from them good luck in finding some lead

Posts: 461 | Location: SW Okla | Registered: 02 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Cado
posted Hide Post
You can melt your lead shot down to make round balls as long as it's pure lead. I do it at times.

Posts: 617 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
THANK YOU GUYS, I WILL CONTINUE TO SEARCH

Booshway
Picture of SCLoyalist
posted Hide Post
H.H., have you done a web search for 'lead ingot'?. There is at least one company out there that will sell you pure lead at $2.09/lb, including shipping, provided you buy at least $100 worth. For a .45 cal, that works out to just under half what swaged or cast balls would cost you, and pretty much the ssme cost per pound as a bag of no. 6 shot from one of the distributors would cost you. Pouring a cup or two of shot into the melting pot might be easier than chopping up an ingot, but the shot might be alloyed rather than pure lead. Good luck, SCL

Here's a health to the King and a lasting Peace. May Faction end and Wealth increase....Old Loyalist Ballad

Posts: 767 | Location: Panhandle Florida | Registered: 02 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Hi HH. rotometals.com has pure lead ingots. I get shot from them for skeet reloads. Fast shipping and good prices. Some of their stuff ships free if you spend over a certain amount. Have a great day, Flintlockjoe.

Posts: 45 | Location: Rockland County, NY | Registered: 29 May 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of LeeRoy
posted Hide Post
H.H.

I shot some center fire pistol and rifle, and I cast some of my bullets. There is a casting site called castboolets.com. They have a for sale lists and you can buy pure lead and different mixes there. They are a good bunch of guys there too.

LeeRoy

Keep your powder dry.

Posts: 171 | Location: Southern Nevada | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
thank you guys once again, and thanks for the websites next time i am in albq. i will check with the metal scrap yards to see what they have also

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Try castboolits.gunloads.com

God Bless
Whisler

Posts: 123 | Location: Northern Kaintuckee | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Hello the camp!

New to this forum. You can 99.9% pure lead ingots at: http://www.rotometals.com/
or even Amazon.com

You know it's pure and a lot easier than poking around in potentially nasty places.

Two Fleathers

Posts: 2 | Location: Placentia, California | Registered: 01 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Your best bet to find cheap lead is to go by a Plumbing shop ... They do come by alot o lead.( trust me on that .. been plumbing for 17 yrs .. just sold 100lbs and still have over 150 left) They often just trash it if its removed /used lead .. does stink fer a bit till it melts good and fine but shoots fine

Posts: 18 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
As was already mentioned...go to Cast Boolits website, jon up, and scroll down to the Swapping&Selling forum. There's a constant stream of lead available there already cast into ingots and prices range from .50 cents to $1 per pound delivered right to your door. And those guys will tell you if it's hard lead or soft. Audie...

Posts: 2155 | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post