MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Accoutrements    Changed Markings on Compasses and Rulers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Changed Markings on Compasses and Rulers
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of Hunts4Deer
posted
When I'm out at antique shows I use a general rule of thumb to decide if a compass is real old. New compasses go from 0 to 360 degrees. Older ones go from 0 degrees at N or S, and increase to 90 at E (or W). These seem to be phased out at some date, but WHEN? Anyone know the history of the markings?

Likewise, I see old folding rulers with the numbers increasing from right to left. Modern rulers increase in the other direction. When did that change take place?

Are there other common things like those that transitioned at some distinct point in time?

John
Vive le Roy!

Posts: 513 | Location: Colony of Maryland | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post