New
Find
Notify
Tools

pocket watch
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
Where is a good site to order a good pocketwatch so I can tell if it is 3am or 6am while trekking. Usually not awake enough to study star placement.

Posts: 14 | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Sun up & Sun down works, never carry a time piece myself. I find no real need for it while I am on the trail. It won't make meat & it won't keep me warm so no need to carry it. Nice to leave time behind too.

Posts: 350 | Location: Whitewater, CO. | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of Spotted Bull
posted Hide Post
Yeah I need to get a non-battery operated pocket watch my self...

It is pitiful when a man lets his ego push his intelligence beyond his ignorance.

Posts: 55 | Location: Waxahachie, TX | Registered: 20 December 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Deercop
posted Hide Post
Jason Townsend & Son has a nice replica of a 18th Century pocket watch for around $30. It does have a plastic "glass", and it's battery operated.
I have one of the "gold plated" ones, and have been happy with it. Replaced the chain with a more original looking one though.

Posts: 649 | Location: Clovis, New Mexico | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I believe the railroad employees still have to have an accurate timepiece. I bought a waltham pocket watch, brand new at a local jewelry shop, about fifteen years ago, I was collecting pocket watches at the time. You might try some jewelry stores, I'll warn you, they are not cheap. A good pocket watch, should last several lifetimes, if cared for properly.
Del

It's not the first time, I've protected my hair, in just such a manner.

Posts: 44 | Location: Independence, MO. | Registered: 28 September 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the jewelry store idea, maybe even a pawn shop might work.

Graybeard
Picture of MedicineSoldier
posted Hide Post
A "pocket watch" search on Amazon will bring up pages of them. Hand wind & quartz movements. men's and women's, from less than $20 on up. Lots of options/designs so you would have to determine what you feel is appropriate.

Something like this Pocket watch

E-bay is another spot with the potential for finding something you like.

Medicine Soldier

Posts: 219 | Location: Black Hills of SD | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Well if you are going to go to the trouble of getting a pocket watch (instead of simply placing a modern watch in your pack or shooting bag), then be sure you get the correct looking one for your era.

You will notice that the Jas. Townsend Watch has Roman numerals in its hour chapter, no second hand or a seconds bit, (tiny circle on the larger face with a seconds hand), and it also is an open face watch, without a cover for the crystal. This is correct for an 18th century time piece, and as a very good time piece would last for many generations, it can be used for later time periods.

Alas, I did not know of the Jas Townsend piece when I bought mine, which is open faced, but has modern numerals and a seconds bit. I need a piece as I play the part of a serjeant [antique spelling] and need to know the time for formations, inspections, guard mount, etc etc..., and as the public would only see if I had an open face watch or a hunter case watch [with a cover or "lid"] it worked for me (and OK and it was $9.00 at Wally World) .

The actual originals were also key wound, but mine is battery operated. Miz Gabi, one of our forum members, gave me a demi-hunter, which means the cover has a small portion cut out, to allow one to quickly check the time without opening the cover, and it's stem wound. It's pretty neat but a bit too nice for me to use banging around the woods or in a battlefield reenactment. I only wear it for historic dress occasions.

I also inherited a railroad conductor's watch from my great grandad. It's rather large, and is also open faced. I suppose it was intended to be kept in his vest (men in his day in America wore vests not "waistcoats"), and so would be protected from harm to the crystal. It is circa 1910.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
I bought a manual wind pocket watch called an Aero Neuchatel. It is Swiss, has a hunter case, a stem wind and a face with roman numerals and a small seconds hand. Movement is a common high quality Unitas movement and mine is accurate to 5 seconds per day. They show up on ebay often for under $50.

Posts: 129 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
you might also consider how the piece will be carried, for example on a ribbon not a chain
just a thought for ya.
Z

Posts: 15 | Location: United States | Registered: 07 February 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of Montour
posted Hide Post
As Zan says, ribbon vice chain, and if your going to use the Townsand watch, just to keep the illusion in place, that ribbon needs to have a watch winding key on it......

Here is a good blog with some images and info

http://www.mymuseumoflondon.or...wearing-two-watches/

Given that the reenactment hobby on the whole cant get properly tailored breeches on more than 5% of the participants, the idea of having watch pockets in their blown out in the crotch pants, let alone 2 watch pockets is a pipe dream......

Posts: 150 | Location: Right where Im standing | Registered: 07 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Not meaning to step on anyones dream, but JAS Townsend pocket watches are GARBAGE. They are too thin, the metal feels cheap as does the plastic and they are battery. The battery is very hard to replace--have to go to a jeweler and they even had trouble. It is not worth the cheap price. I bought one thinking that "hey if it looks about right..." But it does not look right, and more importantly it does not "feel" right. I carry it because it was a gift. But that dog don't hunt.

AxelP

Posts: 381 | Location: Oakhurst, CA | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of Montour
posted Hide Post
Yea I gave up on a period watch, since more often than not someone wants to see a photo of some artifact, so Ive got my Iphone that lets me carry around documentation, take photos, tell the time, check the boards and play my personal soundtrack Eeker

Yes everyone needs a personal soundtrack!

Posts: 150 | Location: Right where Im standing | Registered: 07 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the ribbon information. I'll find one eventually along my travels.

Patience is a virtue..

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I found a decent watch on Amazon...Ahunter case mechanical watch from Charles Hubert... They have nice pocket watches in differnt price ranges....

Posts: 12 | Location: Antwerp - Belgium | Registered: 29 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
i agree with axelp the townsend watches are rubbish.there is a dealer in antique watches up the road from where i live.he sells watches from the 17 century upwards,have a look at his website and it will show you what period watches look like.

Posts: 19 | Location: england | Registered: 17 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post