New
Find
Notify
Tools

tent ropes
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
Setting up my wall tent after getting home from scout camp, I noticed the ropes are getting somewhat tired.

Do you all do anything to your ropes to preserve them?

mholder
saline county mo

Posts: 4 | Location: Saline County MO | Registered: 16 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Change them,,their inexpensive and if the break while you are setting up while in the field!!!!!!!Cheap insurance,,

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Yep, change them. Manila rope is inexpensive at hardware and farm supply stores. Good tinder as well.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I reckon so, I guess they have stood up for close to 15 years.

thanks

mholder
saline county mo

Posts: 4 | Location: Saline County MO | Registered: 16 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
IF they are natural fiber, and untreated, save them for fire starting with flint-n-steel. If dry toss them in a bag and store them... eventually somebody will need them for a demonstration and voila!

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of bangfxr
posted Hide Post
I'd change them out. I do that every 3 years or so. I also carry a roll as well.

Families sleep peaceably in their beds at night as there are rough men about who will do violence in their behalf.

Posts: 48 | Location: Indianapolis. | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Marine stores usually sell nylon rope that is colored to look like natural fiber. It is much stronger and you will not have to worry about it again ever. Also much easier than hemp fiber to put an eye splice or siezing in the ends.

Posts: 332 | Location: South Coast (MS) | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post