Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet boards/loading blocks.
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted Hide Post
very nice looking rig.

I would say that people like trg1 are the reason I will likely never bother to attend a function like Mansker's Station or Williamsburg.
People like him are much safer pontificating on the internet as opposed to doing it in person.

regards,

Rich
Sua Sponte

Posts: 363 | Registered: 25 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
What do you mean "by doing it in person"? If you mean going into a wilderness and living it, you are way off base with TRG1. I can assure you.

Posts: 557 | Location: geneva,fl | Registered: 29 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Gentleman when it comes down to it this is just that a HOBBY no one of us make a major living out of this HOBBY (TO each his own) we are all here to converse relax and get away from the daily stres that sometimes can overcome each and everyone of us if I'm at a rendezvous I'm there to take it easy not to critique somones impression, just to relax and have fun sometimes good relationships can be ruined over MICKEY MOUSE, disagreements; lets all take a deep breath remember we all share a common intrest and lets have a ton of fun doing it and as far as bullet boards are concerned I can take it or leave it though I do own one. Enjoy and lets keep burning powder.

Posts: 86 | Location: North central Alabama, Limestone County, Athens | Registered: 09 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of GreyWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BIG-D:
Gentleman when it comes down to it this is just that a HOBBY no one of us make a major living out of this HOBBY....

One it is not just a hobby to everyone and I for one, along with several others I know including our hosts the Scurlocks, do make a major living off living history of various era. My only source of income for the last 17 years is from crafting custom made 18th/19th Century period style leather goods, knives, hawks, and accoutrements - some are actual repros and others "fantasy" pieces i.e. pieces in the style of but not exacting replicas of an original.

as for the rest it's again a matter of the venue, maybe you only go to those events that are more relaxed in their standards or don't do public education, but there are others that do and especially in the last instance being "right" is important. Also this whole conversation was started with the question of is there any research showing proof positive usage during the era, not is it OK to use one or they coulda, but rather proof of use. Frankly I don't care what others do, except when mis-information or lack of information is passed on as proof positive fact - unfortunately Hollywood is real good at that and far too often their info is claimed as fact by those who have not done the research.

Tim - great rig and in this case of course one should include what is part of the original package, and please read my words again - it's all about the venue and responsibility of the craftsman to be honest and to do the research when making claims of authenticity about any item.

Mike - I agree that becoming absolutist or dogmatic can be just as big an error as doing they woulda if they coulda shuffle. Regarding the multi-stripe blankets, yes there are records from the western fur trade era that include them, but further research has found that they are not of the same pattern as being used today. I recently saw a post on another board (sorry don't remember which one, but perhaps Frontierfolk?) regarding multi-stripe blankets of the era and it included info on the differences.

Mr Sharpshooter - you can have your opinion but the facts are many if not most of those you accuse of being pontificating keyboard commandos are also doers and have been there and done that far more often than you believe. And yep it is easy to sit on the other end of that screen and make ignorant comments isn't it.........

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GreyWolf,

aka Chuck Burrows

Posts: 616 | Location: Southern Rockies | Registered: 03 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
GreyWolf, I'll look for those notes about the multi-striped blankets because that subject most certainly interests me. And if you locate those notes again, pass the info on, please. And maybe The
Encyclopedia of Trade Goods, Volume 2 will have something about those blankets. That should be coming soon. Good doin's!! Shoot sharp, Mike

Posts: 3531 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of GreyWolf
posted Hide Post
Mike - I will check around but you might also ask Rod L on the Rocky Mtn College board - IIRC he was maybe the one that mentioned the person who had done the research.

aka Chuck Burrows

Posts: 616 | Location: Southern Rockies | Registered: 03 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Wick,

I've lived in the wilderness here in Idaho more than a year on two separate occasions. A wilderness that has grizzly bears, wolves, and cougars. Not, some state park or farmers 160 acre woodlot back east.

From what he has posted,trg1 projects the attitude here of a "holier than thou..." approach to ML imho.

One of those things...

you are all cordially invited to spend January of 2113 in real wilderness country here with me if you choose. Leave your toilet paper at home.

Rich

Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Sharpshooter I"m with you on the Manskers station living history I have been there several times it being just up the road a bit from where I live, The 18th century carnival is fun a good place to find some excelent goods for reenacting but again in my opion a rotten place for a living history;it's right in the middle of a ball park with indoor tolets within a stones throw of the fort which is a nice fort but a little small and its right on the road with houses just across the street the people are nice and helpful but it is just not my cup of tea. I like fort Toulouse and Jackson further south from here its close to the Alabama river and the Parks set a good way off the main drag aways I guess 1/2 to 3/4 a mile and if your in to teaching and helping out at school events which I have done several of, this place has got to top them all, most of the school programs I have done You will see about 700 to 1000 students but there you will see 3500 to 5500 kids and it is a great place to camp also and take a step back in time. Still from how you descibe your neighborhood I don't think either place could hold a candle to that wilderness, I have always wanted to vist the northwest territory and maybe someday I will. Enjoy Big-D

Posts: 86 | Location: North central Alabama, Limestone County, Athens | Registered: 09 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BIG-D:
Gentleman when it comes down to it this is just that a HOBBY no one of us make a major living out of this HOBBY (TO each his own) we are all here to converse relax and get away from the daily stres that sometimes can overcome each and everyone of us if I'm at a rendezvous I'm there to take it easy not to critique somones impression, just to relax and have fun sometimes good relationships can be ruined over MICKEY MOUSE, disagreements; lets all take a deep breath remember we all share a common intrest and lets have a ton of fun doing it and as far as bullet boards are concerned I can take it or leave it though I do own one. Enjoy and lets keep burning powder.

BIG-D I totally agree! (Except for the part about this ONLY being a hobby, that is. I'm trying to make a living with my knife making.)

"Return unto me, and I will return unto you," saith the Lord of hosts.
~Malachi 3:7b

Posts: 297 | Location: MI | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of GreyWolf
posted Hide Post
Josh good luck and while I agree we should all respect each other's position, because for many of us it's not just a hobby but a way of life that extends far beyond just having fun (although it is part and parcel) - as fro making knives as a living I do wish you the best of luck - it is a very hard row to hoe especially when specializing with such as only period knives, but if/when you can do it it can be VERY satisfying.
FWIW - I've been doing it part time since 1971, with a few bouts of full-time and again full time for the last 17 years, but frankly I'm one of the rare few. Statistics show that out of approximately 6,000 USA custom knife makers there are about 100-150 that do it full-time without any other income such as a wife working full-time.
If you ever need or want some advice or just to palaver let me know, along with being a custom builder I spent many years as a small business manager/adviser and in today's world understanding the laws and what it takes to be a successful full-time builder is far more than simply making a good product.

aka Chuck Burrows

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Geeezzz Chuck, you think there's only 6,000 makers? That makes me feel better about it. I woulda thought many more. Seems like everyone I meet has a friend, brother, cousin, or uncle making knives.

Posts: 557 | Location: geneva,fl | Registered: 29 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Crapshooter, I only repeat what I have seen to be accepted by the community of history students in general and try to deal in facts as much as possible and and if others choose differently it is their privilage, I sense a "Holier than Thou" attitude to your great outdoor experience you like to point out. I do not think you will be missed at the historic events you mentioned for obvious reasons. I will not respond to your rude PM I recieved but for what it is worth I would take great pleasure in pontificating my foot up your....

Posts: 272 | Registered: 12 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
are you being intentionally rude to me?

Silly man...

Rich
Sua Sponte

Booshway
posted Hide Post
I don't have a dog in this fight, but it seems to me that since Linda is off on extended leave, we need to police ourselves and put an end to this thread right now. Just let it go!

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rancocas:
I don't have a dog in this fight, but it seems to me that since Linda is off on extended leave, we need to police ourselves and put an end to this thread right now. Just let it go!

Absolutley correct Rancocas! This site was not created so people could bicker back and forth.

"The fear of Jehovah is the beginning of wisdom; And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.
For by me thy days shall be multiplied, And the years of thy life shall be increased.
If thou art wise, thou art wise for thyself; And if thou scoffest, thou alone shalt bear it."
~Proverbs 9:10-12

P.S. Thanks GreyWolf! I'll keep your offer in mind!

"Return unto me, and I will return unto you," saith the Lord of hosts.
~Malachi 3:7b

Posts: 297 | Location: MI | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
are you being intentionally rude to me?

I would have thought that was rather obvious....just returning the favour, I was gone from here untill your uncalled for PM and had not posted for almost three months, as some mentioned other directions are more proper than you and I expressing our dislike for one another, I will continue no further.

Posts: 272 | Registered: 12 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Also let's understand that not every possible "antique" bullet board has been put to testing folks. We may find out that some that can actually be dated by science have been out there for years, but because of an incorrect provenance, folks never thought to look hard.

Examine these bullet boards from the Wnuck estate. They are labeled "rev war bullet boards". Is it assumed or did Mr. Wnuck have some good information on them? I have seen "experts" believe a private collection to be flawless simply on the reputation of the collector, and then auction off a tomahawk head as "original", when in fact it had an East Indian mark on it..., never knowing the collector had simply placed it on the wall as "filler" between the cased items on display.

Anyway, take a look at these. They are obviously for round ball, they didn't hold minies or some such. They both hold more than a dozen ball, so I think a person by conjecture may say these are for warfare, not hunting due to the amount of rounds. Ah but which war? 1812, Texas Independence, First Seminole War, OR..., were they indeed made for the Revolution? Alas I can't tell you the size of the holes as that might give us a clue as to the caliber of the rifle or gun they were used with, and I don't know if Mr. Wnuck collected them in New York or some other part of the country. The species of wood would possibly help, as would a surface examination by microscope.

From the other items around them as a crude scale, it looks like the left board is in the .50 caliber family, and the right board in the .45 caliber family.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of Montour
posted Hide Post
Dave,

Have you ever been to the Baltimore Antique Arms show?

Collecting, outside of the museum world is big business, Fakery is rampant, so is bringing in say, flambau bladed plug bayonets from europe and with a wink and a nod selling them as supposed estate finds from America.....

Posts: 150 | Location: Right where Im standing | Registered: 07 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I take no stand whatsoever on the subject of bullet boards. Still there's food for thought in this debate.

The Incas did not use the wheel but this had nothing to do with them "not knowing about it". Face it, the Apache didn't make use of outrigger canoes either. And I can safely bet the Incas were aware of the wheel and the Apache were aware of the principles leverage. The Sioux never used the wheel either but knew how it worked.

See, cultures use what works for them and ignores what doesn't. Wheels didn't work well in the high Andes and dry riverbeds were useless for outriggers. I'll bet the idea of a patched ball stuck in a hole that's bored in a piece of wood raised no eyebrows in 1769. For war cartridges are to be preferred. In the deer woods there were ways as fast or faster for reloading than using ball boards.

My thinking - I don't use them - is that ball boards are an "okay" idea for a leisurely morning hunt when you travel light but not much else.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
I believe that in the far off future, a team of archaeologists will excavate Yankees Stadium and all the reenactors will rush off and buy pinstripe flannel clothes under the firm belief that this was how everybody dressed.

Posts: 129 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post