MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Accoutrements    Gun Rifle Safe needed fusille 59 inch
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun Rifle Safe needed fusille 59 inch
 Login/Join

Graybeard
posted
t's been some tme since I've posted. I've been searching for a gun safe that can store a 58" lonf fusille. Scarce as hens teeth. Sure I oould buld one out of wood, but prefer metal. don't need a fireproof safe, just metal and secure.

Know of any sources?

Thank you.

Posts: 210 | Location: Fingerlakes | Registered: 02 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
This one might work BUT you'll need somebody to cut a portion of the floor of the upper compartment out to allow for full use of the interior. Will be a bit tricky to get the long gun inside and taking it out.

American Furniture 5 Gun Safe

Other than that you might be able to get a shorter basic steel gun cabinet, one that is made to take a pistol-box bolted to the top, and then have that welded to the top after opening up the inside to have them joined and thus have it adapted.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Loyalist Dave,

Tanks. I was thinking about somethng like that or just cut a hole in the shelf!

I knew I could rely on ths group and for you to comment.

Posts: 210 | Location: Fingerlakes | Registered: 02 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of wattlebuster
posted Hide Post
Or maybe get lucky like me an have a friend who happens to weld for a living an just have him make you a safe. He made mine with good thick steel an giant inside hinges. It locks with 2 padlocks that are protected by little steel boxes so there is just enough room to get the key in but no cutters or hacksaw. It weighs 400 lbs without anything in it

Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a crisp frosty morning

Posts: 354 | Location: Heart of DIXIE | Registered: 18 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I bought a big Liberty safe 6 years ago it holds guns with 42" barrels with no problems.

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Tractor Supply Company has a tall gun safe that fits tall guns don't know about a 58 inch barrel unless you kitty corner it in.

Posts: 109 | Location: NH | Registered: 05 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I often forget abut the deals from Tractor Supply.

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
A bit off topic but I remember Tim Allen in his relatively new show, the one where he runs a Bass Pro type store in Denver had a flintlock rifle he wanted to hang above the fire place.

Naturally the wife has a fit about having a gun hanging on the wall and it being safe with the kids. Tim goes into a 5 minute rant about by the time you find some powder, shove it down the barrel, put a ball down the barrel, then find a rock for the lock etc etc the gun is nothing but a safe. It was a good scene.

Posts: 140 | Registered: 18 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
LOL.

I'm more concerned about theft, but I don't think crack addcts, meth heads, ad heroin addicts would consider a flntlock a marketable item.

Greenhorn
Picture of bangfxr
posted Hide Post
I'll have to look at the maker of my safe when I get home as I had to have one tall enuff for my 63 Sprinfield, and 1816 muskets. A couple years back a friend had his place broken into and these people went past the rifle he'd made at Colonial Williamsburg that was hanging above the fireplace , they opened the storeage box with his repo Whitworth sporting rifle ( CW sniping rifle)items for it are all serial numbered to that rifle, but took the $20.00 dollar auction Marlin bolt action 22cal rifle that was found the next day laying in the ditch about 1/2 mile away.

Families sleep peaceably in their beds at night as there are rough men about who will do violence in their behalf.

Posts: 48 | Location: Indianapolis. | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Thans. Lucky for your friend!

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
All the gun safe manufactures make tall safes, they tend to be the higher end models and more pricey.

I custom ordered this one, 66" tall;

I had to do a little creative shelf cutting but I can get my guns with 42" barrels in with room to spare.

Posts: 47 | Registered: 04 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Another thing; Steer away from electronic locks, go with manual. I saw a show the other day where a locksmith could open any electronic lock in a matter of seconds.

Posts: 47 | Registered: 04 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Eric,

Yes indeed about the electronic locks. I watched a few videos on the Fort Knox safes. Certainly, the best buy for security. Out of my league- I checked the prices, even for their smaller, but taaller gun safes. Just a poor boy. Your advice was much appreciated.

Factor
posted Hide Post
You folks got me to thinking...., dangerous I know....,

I have a simple gun cabinet, steel with a key lock, but my flinters won't fit. It holds my few modern guns, but it's situated in a very inaccessable location, so good luck to the burglars. As an LEO I know how fast burglars prefer to move, and several hours to find, and tear out my meager little cabinet, or cut into it, is not one of their options.

So here's an idea, and I think I may do this ..... I may get an In-Wall gun cabinet. Now it's only 55" tall, but if I mount it 10" up from the floor and cut out the bottom, I could put my 62" LLP Bess inside. Mount it against a concrete wall between two studs, and cover the lower portion with a metal plate, OR simply pour a concrete chamber that I then install the modified cabinet above, and flush, and voila, 65" secured gun cabinet.

LD

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
LD, That would work! Wish I had concrete walls! I have SIP's Structurally insulatd panels for exterior walls and a very small closet to play with.
Slab on grade on the main floor.
May end up makig a hardwood cabinet disguised aas a bookcase-I have lots of books! Probably scare most thiefs off! LOL

Factor
posted Hide Post
Wow LD,that's an excellent idea,I wish I could afford to do something like that...

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
LD: If your Bess has a 62" LLP (length of pull) how long are your arms? LOL

God Bless
Whisler

Posts: 123 | Location: Northern Kaintuckee | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
62" LLP Bess = 62" L ong L and P attern Bess, as opposed to a Pedersoli SLP [Short Land Pattern] Bess.

Big Grin

LD

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Even though we have never met in person LD, I conclude you must stand, at least, 12 feet tall to need a gun of any kind with a 62" length of pull. Red Face Wink
My Navy Arms (probably a Pedersoli) is too long to fit in my safe. So, instead of cutting and welding a box on top, I simply hung it on the wall above the door to what laughingly serves as my 'office'. To get it a burglar must first find a stool to stand on to reach it. That is a time delay even stupid burglars don't usually want to risk.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post