Find
Notify
Tools

Older movie series
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted
There is a series (English, from BBC) of 14 movies, made from about 1994 to 2007 from the books by Bernard Cornwell called 'Sharpe's...." The first was Sharpe's Rifles, then it went on from there. About the adventures of a group of 95th Regment riflemen (equipped with Baker Rifles)operating on scout ahead of one regiment or another or behind the lines on a special mission during the Napoleonic War. Sean Bean stars as Richard Sharpe. Some of the acting is pretty cheesy, but it's hard not to get into the history if you can hang in there for a couple of the movies. I found them in our county library system (they have had to bring some of the discs from one of the three libraries in the county) so this is a cheap way to enjoy a bit of history with literally a cast of hundreds. Lots of interesting uniforms and rifles and accoutrements carried by both the English and the French.
Series 1:

Sharpe's Rifles (May 5, 1993)
Sharpe's Eagle (May 12, 1993)

Series 2:

Sharpe's Company (May 25, 1994)
Sharpe's Enemy (June 1, 1994)
Sharpe's Honour (June 8, 1994)

Series 3:

Sharpe's Gold (April 12, 1995)
Sharpe's Battle (April 19, 1995)
Sharpe's Sword (April 26, 1995)

Series 4:

Sharpe's Regiment (May 1, 1996)
Sharpe's Siege (May 8, 1996)
Sharpe's Mission (May 15, 1996)

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Good series, good books, Netflix has the entire set.

Posts: 86 | Location: North central Alabama, Limestone County, Athens | Registered: 09 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Netflix you say?Eggcelant!

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I have the complete set of books.

They give the reader a new outlook on what the Napoleonic Wars in Spain and Portugal were like.

Load fast and aim slow.

Posts: 1726 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Can't find this on Netflix.

God Bless
Whisler

Posts: 123 | Location: Northern Kaintuckee | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
Hey Whisler, you might check the following sources for books and the DVDs... Amazon, eBay, Barnes and Noble and of course, for free, check your local library system. Our county library system has three branches and among them they have all the books and DVDs. I like free! Good luck. Just to prepare you, the first three DVDs has pretty cheesy acting, but the rifles, uniforms and accoutrements are pretty interesting. As the series continues though, the acting gets better and the story line and character development is great.... or maybe I just got numb from watching them hehe

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Our library system has audiobooks of some titles but not the videos. May just have to locate the books.

God Bless
Whisler

Posts: 123 | Location: Northern Kaintuckee | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
vizio is another option

"I don't know where we're goin', but there's no sense bein' late." Quigley

Posts: 104 | Location: The Beehive State | Registered: 12 April 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
I have them all plus the two following movies on DVD. Most of them were purchased on Amazon.

Posts: 214 | Location: Big Arm Montana | Registered: 17 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post

Posts: 210 | Location: Fingerlakes | Registered: 02 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post