Find
Notify
Tools

The Hunters of Kentucky
 Login/Join

Graybeard
posted
Fine gentleman of the campfire.

I am currently reading The Hunters of Kentucky by Ted Franklin Belue. I came across a term I do not understand. Within the text the following is referenced" cabins without doors nor stopped". I am not aquainted with the term stopped in this passage. Any help would be appreciated.

Chasing Crow

Posts: 219 | Location: n.e. ohio | Registered: 29 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hiya Crow!

"Stopped" refers to latches or a way to secure a door. So, the "cabins without doors nor stopped" would be cabins with an open doorway, with no door at all; and cabins with a door swinging free with no way to keep it closed (latched, secured).

That's it in a nutshell! Hope it helps ya!

Regards, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 532 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Crossfox.....makes sense I don't remember ever see that term used in this light. You

Posts: 219 | Location: n.e. ohio | Registered: 29 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I have the same book and I thought that "cabins without doors nor stopped" meant they used a blanket or hide instead of a wooden door, and the logs in the cabin walls were not "stopped" with mud or clay chinking...why mention the doors, which weren't there, couldn't be closed or prevented from swinging?

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hiya LD!

Glad you mentioned the blanket & hide drape. I had one of those dastardly Senior Moments and completely lost the thought while sending the reply.

Probably should have stopped at empty doorway!Smiler

Regards, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 532 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
OH WAIT now I'm just guessing....neither doors nor stopped, may also mean no door and no hide or blanket for a door, just an opening...hence nothing to "stop" a person from entering or leaving.... so not a senior moment at all...

LD

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
All good thoughts gents.....
Thanks

Booshway
Picture of Crawdad
posted Hide Post
My money is on LD, to caulk the walls with mud or clay chinking.

[Middle English stoppen, from Old English -stoppian, probably from Vulgar Latin *stuppāre, to caulk,

Posts: 678 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
COOL! Another bit of esoterica to tuck away in my pack rats' nest of a mind!Thanks Crawdad....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Crawdad
posted Hide Post
I also hate it when running into an old term or word in a book. It just gnaws at me too Smiler

Posts: 678 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
THEN sometimes the original writer is inaccurate too. I was reading a formula the other day and the guy was talking about unslak'd lime...calcium oxide CaO...but I'm pretty sure since that stuff is very alkaline that he meant soda ash..calcium carbonate Na2CO3...since the rest of the formula was herbs...it might have been a digestive remedy...but not with the lime from what I can tell... Eeker

LD

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Could mean ,, The door is always open to all,,If I am not there come on in ,, if I am come on it !!!!! When I was in the Cascades if you come on a cabin was very rare the door was locked and there was food and wood layed by if you needed it,,just leave it as you found it,,

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
It means that the openings between the logs are not chinked or filled. Quite common in the southern areas to allow for ventilation, which would go along with no door. One step up from a half face.

Posts: 332 | Location: South Coast (MS) | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post