Find
Notify
Tools

sons of liberty
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of Cado
posted
Anyone catch Sons of liberty last week. It was OK, had the usual hollyweird slant on some things.

Posts: 617 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
I watched on internet,didn't expect to much & wasn't disappointed then. Roll Eyes

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the warning....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
It was never said to be a documentary, but historical fiction. Like historical novels they tend to give the masses a false view of history. But for anyone with their own brain historical fiction can spark an interest that leads to study. You can enjoy them for what they are or pick them apart for their inaccuracies. I tend to pick the books apart so I rarely read historical novels. With movies, for some reason I go the other way which is why I can watch movies like "Jerremia Johnson", "The Mountain Men" and "the Last of the Mohegans".

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Well, first, if the LA Times busts the production for BS...you know it's really bad. The review barely touches on the bad points....

The History Channel paid for this drek...sorry if they are locked into an expectation of presenting "HISTORY" when they air a program, due to their name...bummers for them... but some blurb on their website that calls this "historic fiction" as a sort of fine print in the contract to cover their backsides is not a valid excuse (imho).

Lazy Profiteering is about all that one can say of their production. Wrong clothing, wrong actions in historic events, wrong characters, wrong symbols, etc etc.

This wasn't " Historic Fiction", where the author takes actual facts and weaves them into a story, a la Allan Eckert. Another form of "Historic Fiction" would be Shakespeare's plays, they are fiction, and they are from history....but not this.

This was Romance Novel Fiction in a historic setting. Ranks right up there with Abe Lincoln: Vampire Slayer as history.

Although I guess we should be glad they didn't have vampires in this miniseries...rather surprised they didn't .....it wouldn't have hurt their "accuracy" any further...

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Anything that makes the claim of having any historical accuracy at all is fair game,as far as I'm concerned.....I'm kinda hard on this genre...Prolly better if I just leave this one alone.....

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I watched one episode early in the show's run. I have not been back. Didn't like it.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
I think that this mini series would have been better if it would have started out with Capt. Kirk and Mr. Spock having to dress up old style and beam down to the earth like planet with a similar history to ours. That would have given the writers a lot of leeway (which they took anyway) with their story lines and us watchers would have enjoyed the show for just what it was. Hey, anything that comes out of TV land using flintlock muskets and rifles these days can't be all bad!

Posts: 197 | Registered: 15 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
So, just a bit off the wall with that one hey! Well, I can kind of remember an episode of Star Trek with just about the same story line. Roll Eyes

Posts: 197 | Registered: 15 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Cranbrook,
That's to one where Kirk calls for 'Serpents for paradise' meaning flintlocks.
El León

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Wow,I actually remember that one....I know I'm younger than most of you all,but I really feel old....

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
It was better than watching "Say yes to the Dress" that the mop wringer wanted to watch but relented but said this was a History special.

Needed way less support from the home brewed. Big Grin

Posts: 109 | Location: NH | Registered: 05 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Idaho Mountainneer
posted Hide Post
Star Trek? Wow, funny where conversations can lead to Smiler

Posts: 330 | Location: Twin Falls ID | Registered: 29 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
The sign of a healthy conversation Wink

Booshway
Picture of Idaho Mountainneer
posted Hide Post
I'm sure it was conversations like these that started the American Revolution.
Can't you just hear Washington say "Mr. Jefferson, do you remember that one episode of Star Trek?" Smiler

Posts: 330 | Location: Twin Falls ID | Registered: 29 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah.... Big Grin

Booshway
Picture of Crawdad
posted Hide Post
I've almost given up on the 'History' channel's historical shows. Their shows would get a better reception if aired on MTV or VH1.

Posts: 678 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post