MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  History    Ray Mears investigates Rogers' Rangers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray Mears investigates Rogers' Rangers
 Login/Join

Graybeard
posted
Check out Ray Mears YouTube video on Rogers' Rangers. I couldn't post an active link so just go to you tube. Search Rogers' Rangers Ray Mear.

He's an expert on primitive survival as are quite a few of you. Perhaps corrections will be needed. Job well done and until someone makes another documentary it will stand.

Posts: 210 | Location: Fingerlakes | Registered: 02 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Lew - an interesting video and great location shots! I was suprised that he never mentioned that Rogers was an American, and that the Rangers (for the most part) were European and native Americans - just an observation.

PAL

"The pen maybe mightier than the sword, but at least the sword has a definite point"

Posts: 92 | Location: PA | Registered: 27 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Night Owl
posted Hide Post
Agree! It was a neat video series.

Posts: 265 | Location: Upper Peninsula of Michigan | Registered: 03 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
I regret to say I haven't read much on Rogers. A few the excellent Muzzleloader Magazine articles.
So the rangers were mostly British and Native American. He must have reviewed elite British troops. Were they light infantry?
Will have to read more.

Posts: 210 | Location: Fingerlakes | Registered: 02 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
Back when I went through Ranger school, we were taught that Rogers formed his unit to counter the French and Indian threat with tactics and weapons that were similar to theirs.
Rogers was so successful at this, that the English army would send young Ensigns and Lieutenants to be "schooled" in North American warfare. The young soldiers would then be sent back to their unit to teach others what they learned. This is very much like how Ranger school is used today.
During the French and Indian War Rogers' Rangers were a "light" Infantry unit adept at scouting,raiding and skirmishing.
Rogers himself left his account of his activities which is still in print. Look up THE JOURNALS OF ROBERT ROGERS, for his viewpoints.
Andy

Follow me I am the Infantry

Posts: 668 | Location: Everson, Washington | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of Montour
posted Hide Post
Thats interesting, that they were mostly Euro's, seeing as how the men were initially drawn from the New Hampshire Provincial Regiment.......

I think someone has confused the actual Rangers with the Cadet Company, that was but one company is the slightly less than Battalion level formation that Rodger's commanded.

Other confusion comes in when Rodger's was given command, but IIRC never served with one of the South Carolina Independent companies of Regulars during the Cherokee war.

Posts: 150 | Location: Right where Im standing | Registered: 07 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
The Rangers were recruted from the colonies and a smaller percentage from the indian tribes. They were required to be 'expert' woodsmen. There were volunteers from the regulars, and often the Light Infantry (new at that time) was bragaded with them. Rogers was also American - he was born in MMethuen,MA in 1731. After the F&I war, he served in independant 'ranging' companies in SC and NY. Sadly, he died in poverty in London, England in 1795.

"The pen maybe mightier than the sword, but at least the sword has a definite point"

Posts: 92 | Location: PA | Registered: 27 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
By the way - when I said 'European' above,I meant to say 'European and Native Americans' I I did not mean to imply they were British.. I need to learn to read these things before I post them :-(

Free Trapper
Picture of Montour
posted Hide Post
Palonghunter,

There is the confusion, the Independent Companies that he was commanding after the war, they were regulars, not Rangers.

First you have the rangers under the NH Provincial regiment. They proved their worth and became an "Independent Company of Rangers" paid for out of the Commanding Generals discretionary funds. Neither Provincials nor regulars. Rodgers gets a North America only promotion to Major as more companies of Rangers are put under his command.

The war ends, as does the funding, and he is rewarded by being given command of an Independent company, its a reduction to Captain, but actually is a promotion as its a regular commission.

Like I said before, off the top of my head I cant prove that he ever served with either the independent company of NY or SC. Also confusing is that the Independent Companies were also brigaded together and given a regimental designation, then disbanded rather quickly. He was also given command/Governorship of Michilamakinac and there was the ensuing drama with that and the Northwest Passage expedition......

Posts: 150 | Location: Right where Im standing | Registered: 07 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Montour - I agree with your comments... As far as his commision in SC and the Independant Companys of NY after the Rangers were disbanded, see: "The Annotated and Illustrated Journals of Major Robert Rogers", Timothy J. Todish and Gary S. Zaboly.. outstandingly researched and a great read..

PAL

Graybeard
posted Hide Post
I've got the book but haven't read it yet...