MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  History    What Fronteirsman, Hero, would you like to be and why? And, what actor would you like to see portray this person?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Fronteirsman, Hero, would you like to be and why? And, what actor would you like to see portray this person?
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Joe Walker - I would like to see him played by Hugh Jackman

"But I swear, a woman's breast is the hardest rock that the Almighty ever made on this earth, and I can find no sign on it." Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Posts: 516 | Location: Ft Parker/Ft Manuel Lisa | Registered: 15 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of Montour
posted Hide Post
I think Billy Bob Thorton would make a good Lewis Wetzel

Posts: 150 | Location: Right where Im standing | Registered: 07 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of captchee
posted Hide Post
Interesting question .
I think to often though in answering it we forget to ask if we would want to take the good with the bad . IE would we really want to face all the life issues that made these people what they were .

Myself I would pick Tsiyu Gunsini , “Dragging Canoe “
As to who to play me , well that would have to be Wes Studi or Eric Schweig

Posts: 687 | Location: Payette ,Idaho | Registered: 23 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
That's a good point, Captchee, and that's why I chose Joe Meek. Not only did he have a good attitude, but he also lived to a relative old age in good health and died with his scalp still attached.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
"Dragging canoe".....sounds like an interesting character,I've never heard of him,got any references I could read?

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 1927 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of captchee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boartooth:
"Dragging canoe".....sounds like an interesting character,I've never heard of him,got any references I could read?

a quick Google will yield lots of info .
Think of Tecumseh . But an earlier version.
Some say that Gunsini set Tecumseh on his historic path after he heard Gunsini speak as a small boy

you have heard of; the Dark and bloody ground
well Gunsini was the one who coined it .

here is a quick link with a round about overview
http://appfrontier.blogspot.co.../dragging-canoe.html

Posts: 687 | Location: Payette ,Idaho | Registered: 23 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Fincastle
posted Hide Post
Simon Kenton, played by Sam Elliot.... When my family crossed over the gap from ol' Virginny into
Caintuck, they settled in Limestone Landing, now Maysville, KY. My third great Granddad Jacob S. Crosby was born at Mays Lick in 1806, got married in Washington, KY, and grew up idolizing Kenton, and that history and lore was passed right on down to me as a kid. Kenton was the real deal boys!!

A nod's as good as a blink to a blind horse

Posts: 143 | Location: Indiana Territory | Registered: 22 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I see.....Another far-sighted man fighting for his doomed culture....There are times I feel schizophrenic.....Wanting to yell back across the years,"Don't believe them!!!"...but I also am the product of the European settlers as well.I guess the only way to reconcile it is to try to learn as much as I can,and try to make the blended product of the last 300+ years work for the best good of the survivors,on both sides.....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 1927 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Who would I like to be? A tough one to answer for sure. I would like to see someone bring Terry C. Johnston's Titus Bass series to life. Maybe Jeff Bridges as Bass. Don't know who might be around to play Josiah Paddock. Just doesn't seem to be actors like there used to be. A big budget doin's with all the details. Yours, Noisemaker

Posts: 69 | Registered: 12 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
I know its been quite a few years now since Charlton heston and brian keith passed but I always hoped they would have done a sequel to the mountain men movie. obviously I know that wasn't possible because brian keith's character died in the movie. But I think they could've made a few sequels with just Charltons character.how about a remake of the mountain men movie ? jeff bridges and mickey rourke

Posts: 70 | Location: hanover pa  | Registered: 21 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Could have had Brian Keith have a son and Heston take him under his wing!!!! I have that movie and watch it with my Grandsons,they get right into it.Good time to clean all my rifles while we watch it.Though the boys will jump ahead in the movie and tell you to watch this or question that.

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I'd really like to see Robert Duvall, and Tommy Lee Jones, do any movie, about mountainmen. I think these two guys, would be great in anything together. John Voight and Ricky Shroeder, could pull it off too. Can y'all tell I liked Lonesome Dove?

It's not the first time, I've protected my hair, in just such a manner.

Posts: 44 | Location: Independence, MO. | Registered: 28 September 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Willis Creek
posted Hide Post
OK, sorry, but this has bugged me for too long. It's frontiersman. Thank you.

"touch not the cat without a glove"
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Posts: 143 | Location: South of the Arkansas, on the slopes of St. Charles Peak, Colorado territory | Registered: 25 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Yes, perhaps we started to wander a bit from the original question. Thinking along those lines, I would like to see a good "stick to the truth" doin's about Jed Smith. He was born only a spit and a giggle away from where I live. Maybe someday someone will find those lost journals and fill in some of the blank areas. Who could play him? Yours, Noisemaker

Posts: 69 | Registered: 12 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I apologize Willis Creek, I should have used the term, "frontiersman". Same to anyone else I may have offended.

Posts: 44 | Location: Independence, MO. | Registered: 28 September 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Willis Creek
posted Hide Post
No offense taken, Del, and I'm not hyper critical, I just got a thing about spelling!

"touch not the cat without a glove"
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Posts: 143 | Location: South of the Arkansas, on the slopes of St. Charles Peak, Colorado territory | Registered: 25 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
when I picture jed smith, my personal favorite, I see mel gibson all the way. in a younger day of course.

todays actors? I don't know. I worry who is going to take over when clint, deniro, pacino, willis, gibson, duval and costner all die. Frowner

Posts: 125 | Location: eden, utah | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Del,
I'm pretty sure Willis Creek was referring to the title of the original post in this thread, not your post. Notice the transposition of the i and e. That happens a lot on these consarned keyboard machines. Fingers movin' faster than they aughta.

"Any day you wake up on the right side of the dirt is a good day"

Posts: 427 | Location: Northwestern California | Registered: 05 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
No problem, I'm disklectric anyway. Hey, I'm talkin' about...that's what I'm talkin' 'bout

Greenhorn
Picture of Yerby Ray
posted Hide Post
quote:
frontiersman

Well my vote is for Simon Kenton as I can see that "The Frontiersman" could easily be made into two or maybe three seperate movies.

I too see Chris Hemsworth as Simon but it would have to happen quickly as his early life (late teens) is just as important as his mid years.

I always wanted to see a sequel to Last of the Mohicians....

Posts: 2 | Location: Newton, No.Carolina | Registered: 05 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post