muzzleloadermag.infopop.cc
Antiques Roadshow

This topic can be found at:
https://muzzleloadermag.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/11610091/m/8454035518

26 February 2012, 10:19 PM
Dick
Antiques Roadshow
Ever watch Antiques Roadshow on PBS? Occasionally there is something of interest to folks like us. I just watched online a recent show from Pittsburg, "hour 2", and they had an 1840s Adam Daniels percussion longrifle with lots of bling, a Confederate sword, and a 1760s silk waistcoat. Worth checking out!

Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"
27 February 2012, 11:44 AM
Rifleman1776
We used to watch regularly and have attended two of their shows. One in Hot Springs, Arkansas, the other in Chicago, Illinois. While the appraisers are quite knowledgable they tend to be tunnel-visioned in their area of expertise. e.g. I have a 1936 book of the Olympics. Their book appraiser gave it a $40.00 value. Their sports memorabilia appraiser gave it a $400.00 value. I had a similar experience with an ca. 1800 signal cannon. Near nothing from one, quite a bit from another. Take their apprasials with a grain of salt and use only as a guide, not gospel. They can be wild on gun values. Same on some other gun related "reality" shows on TV.
27 February 2012, 04:27 PM
Dick
Yes, I enjoy watching when I can, but recognize that they are mostly showing the flashy, high-dollar items, and that they are making guesses as to value. If you have something you're going to sell, have a real appraisal from your local honest antiques dealer, or better yet, get the AR folks bidding against a local dealer!
I just like to see stuff like that, that's all.

Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"
27 February 2012, 07:27 PM
Idaho Mountainneer
Hey Dick, I saw that exact episode and thought it pretty interesting.
28 February 2012, 12:19 AM
BCR
Same here Dick I just watched that episode. Fine looking rifle it was too.

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine
28 February 2012, 04:46 PM
Loyalist Dave
Do you mean The Overpriced Old Stuff Show ?

(Ha I crack me up!) Big Grin

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove