Find
Notify
Tools

H.B.C. fur trade ledger.
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted
At the Monroe show I bought a copy of FUR TRADE and EMPIRE GEORGE SIMPSON'S JOURNAL 1824-25.
Near the end of it , it has a copy of a ledger.
Here are some interesting items, to be found at Ft.George (Astoria) and Spokane house.
Guns Com.N.W.
Guns fine half stocked
Pistols Com.American
Pistols English brown barrels
Rifles American
Rifles English twist barrels

Knives Scalping, folding, clasp
Dags Plain 7 inch
Dags Eyed 8&12 inches

Blankets from 1-4 point in "Plain", Green,"H.Bay" and Rose.

Beads in "Sky Blue ENAMd and 'transparent Canton".

lots more but all in all an interesting read.
Andy

Follow me I am the Infantry

Posts: 668 | Location: Everson, Washington | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
What are ,"rifles english twist barrels"? Are they damascus or just an extra word to mean rifled?

I never have been much for drinking the kool-aid.It's not in my nature.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central Pennsyltucky | Registered: 12 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
doublelong spring,
I'm guessing it to mean some sort of damascus twist pattern on the barrel.
However it could also refer to the barrel twist rate as well.
All in all it is clear as mud.
I'm working on a letter to Ft. William (H.B.C.'s HQ.) to ask that question, plus a few more. When I get a reply I would gladly share if you are interested.
Andy

Posts: 668 | Location: Everson, Washington | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
Andy,
You might have good luck contacting Fort William, but the Hudson's Bay Company Archives are in a big building in downtown Winnipeg, Manitoba. Their files are available for anyone to study, and they can often email you stuff, or for maybe a small fee make copies and mail them. They're very generous, though. Just google them.

Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
Dick,
Thanks for the tip. It seems the more I learn the more questions I have.
That being said, I am amazed at how friendly and helpful people and groups are, in this hobby.
Andy

Booshway
posted Hide Post
At the time the English may have provided barrels of a standard twist which differed from that of other importers, just a wild arrse guess.

Posts: 272 | Registered: 12 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Sure would Andy.

I never have been much for drinking the kool-aid.It's not in my nature.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central Pennsyltucky | Registered: 12 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of GreyWolf
posted Hide Post
English Twist barrels are a type of damascus barrel - the description has nothing to do with the rifling twist

aka Chuck Burrows

Posts: 616 | Location: Southern Rockies | Registered: 03 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
Thanks, GreyWolf.
doublelong spring,
I'm gonna take Dick's idea and contact H.B.C's archive people and see what I/they can turn up.
When I get a reply I'll get back to you.
Andy

Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
My guess is that if that item was listed the way we probably would, it would say, "Rifles, English, twist barrels". I agree that it's a reference to "damascus" barrels.

Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post