Find
Notify
Tools

Where did Indians poop?
 Login/Join

Free Trapper
Picture of LeeRoy
posted Hide Post
Just to get this back on track. I would think that when out hunting or geathering that they would use what is refered to as cat-holes and cover it. When in a camp setting they would just use by the midden pile, garbage dump.

That would be my take on the subject.

LeeRoy

Keep your powder dry.

Posts: 171 | Location: Southern Nevada | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Why not ask a tribal member how his ancestors handled it?

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of captchee
posted Hide Post
becouse that might be to much to ask LOL .
Most likely the vast majority of us , would know either LOL

That being said , from what I understand , it was really common since .

You wouldn’t go where the kids played and most all knew where most decent minded people would go .
Once an area got ,,,, lets say over whelming from all manor of waste , the camp would move .
Then a few months later , the area could be used again .
I would also add to that and say that for the most Part , at least early on . , the vast majority of native peoples were from what I understand , Far cleaner then the Europeans who were coming here

As to immune systems .
I would believe that to be true if compared to today’s civilization .
I often wonder if the case could be made that even today , the immune systems of those living in the country is somewhat stronger then those living in the cities ?????
But lets also remember that if you lived past 30 , you were getting old
Most all of us wouldn’t even be here .

As to references ???
I would think that if your going to find writings or historic reference about such things , it would most likely be in the Johnsons papers Or the journals of L&C

Posts: 687 | Location: Payette ,Idaho | Registered: 23 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Not all the tribes could just pick up everything and move elsewhere. Some were quite settled in permanant villages. (Think of the "mound builders" of the Ohio and Mississippi Valley areas, and also the "cliff dwellers" of the southwest or the Mandans of the middle Missouri River area.)

I think common sense dictates that they dug a hole or a trench for waste disposal and buried it whenever that became necessary.
Think of little out-tipis, out-wickiups, out-wigwams, etc., out in back of the main tipi, wickiup, or wigwam. Red Face

Since toilet paper wasn't invented back then, what did they use to wipe with? Did they wipe at all?
It is known that sometimes the ancient Romans used a natural sea sponge fixed on a stick. It could be wetted, used, and dunked again to clean it off.
Natives here probably used leaves and grass, snow in the winter, or maybe grabbed a rabbit and used that. Eeker
I, myself, have used leaves, grass, and snow. The snow sure is cold, but it actually works quite well, better than leaves or grass IMO.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Didn't the wabbit jump around too much?? Cool

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
You would be surprised how much a rabbit resembles a porcupine in the dark... or how the top of the devil's club leaf is not like the bottom. Eeker
(And people wonder why I stand all day...)

anything worth shooting is worth shooting once.

Posts: 126 | Location: Demokratik Republik of Washington | Registered: 29 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
I often wonder if the case could be made that even today , the immune systems of those living in the country is somewhat stronger then those living in the cities ?????

Very true. I often wonder how human life even thrives in places like India and Pakistan where filth is the order of the day.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
According to a microbiologist I know, people have different flora and fauna (well, that's how I understand it) in their gut. Most Westerners would get sick. But, often third worlders get sick coming into the industrialized world. Keep in mind they as did many other societies have very high mortality rated as capachee said.

As to the original question, I would imagine each group or region had their own methods.

anything worth shooting is worth shooting once.

Posts: 126 | Location: Demokratik Republik of Washington | Registered: 29 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rifleman1776:
quote:

Very true. I often wonder how human life even thrives in places like India and Pakistan where filth is the order of the day.

I think this is absolutley true! (at least I like to!) I've got alot of cousins who live in Alaska and they're some of the healthiest people I know.

"Return unto me, and I will return unto you," saith the Lord of hosts.
~Malachi 3:7b

Posts: 297 | Location: MI | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I think we might be mixing a couple things here, and the answer depends upon what we want to measure.

Immune systems get challenged when we are exposed to different pathogens. Our systems make antibodies to protect us from that pathogen now and the next time we are exposed to it. That's why immunization works. It could be said that those with the most diverse set of antibodies have the strongest immune system.

Then there are healthy bodies fostered by clean air, ample food, (genetics), and exercise. No doubt that healthy bodies provide resources needed to make antibodies.

Sparks

"I thought when you said you chased tornadoes, it was just a metaphor."
--soon to be ex-fiance in Twister

Posts: 247 | Location: Boise | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
I suspect they also went in streams and rivers. I saw it personally in my travels in Indonesia. They didn't need corn cobs or leaves, they just cleaned themselves with the water. Nomadic tribes in desert areas use sand...and their left hand only, of course.

Phil Meek

Posts: 78 | Location: Denver | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Columbus: It's fun to speculate but bear in mind that what most folks are saying here is just a guess. I myself haven't a clue. I read that some tribes near rivers, etc took a swim every day so they must have been fairly clean in their health habits and I've read about some of the tribes along the NW salmon rivers smelling like fish but to answer your question- that's a tough one. Maybe a University Anthropology Dept.

Posts: 54 | Registered: 14 November 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
It has always been my understanding that the Indians were generally cleaner and practiced better hygiene than the Europeans of that period.

Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
That's my understanding as well although there are always exceptions to any "general rule".

Posts: 54 | Registered: 14 November 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of 1720Todd
posted Hide Post
Hey all. Guess I'll start my first reply here.

I have learned many things from my in-laws about diseases and such. My mother-in-law is a a research microbiologist and my father-in-law has a degree in equine parasitology.
I asked a couple questions about early sanitation and health conditions long ago.
It is quite true that a strong body will fight sickness better than a weak one. As well as when a body has been exposed to certain sickness'. However, you can build an immunity to a virus, but not to bacteria. Just like a flu shot, it prepares the body to build immunities to them because it is a virus.
The most important thing to remember was that the education and knowledge of people, even the most educated person at the time, was lacking to say the least. For instance, some microorganisms infect the body, while some, like Botulism, produce a toxin that makes you sick. They just did not understand this. A simple hand washing is probably the most effective way to stop the spread of diseases in most cases, but was this was just not common knowledge back then. Look at "Typhoid Mary". Never getting sick because she had a strong immune system, but was instead a carrier.
It wasn't even until the late 19th century that they even accepted that microorganism were disease causing. Before that it was "Miasma Theory", in that diseases were caused by "Bad air". So plain folk were ignorant to such deadly things.
My grandmother had outside plumbing until 1945 and said it was quite a chore. Especially when someone was sick in bed. Not fun at all.

Hope that helped a little, but as for Native Americans, I have no idea where they pooped.

Edit: I meant to say, "but not to 'all' bacteria". Then I got yelled at for it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1720Todd,

Posts: 88 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 07 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
quote:

On the ground.

Posts: 62 | Registered: 06 October 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
quote:
you can build an immunity to a virus, but not to bacteria

Then I wonder how vaccinations against plague, cholera, and typhoid work, for those are all bacterial infections, and in the Typhoid Mary example, she had developed natural immunity. Hmmm....

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
you can build an immunity to a virus, but not to bacteria.

Wrong.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of captchee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loyalist Dave:
quote:
you can build an immunity to a virus, but not to bacteria

Then I wonder how vaccinations against plague, cholera, and typhoid work, for those are all bacterial infections, and in the Typhoid Mary example, she had developed natural immunity. Hmmm....

LD

that depends and its not so clear cut .,
Some bacteria can be very bad . But people can build a resistance to some types of bacteria . Take E-coli which can be a very nasty bug which is today all to common .
Most recently the biggest problem concern e-coli has been with un washed food or foods that have been contaminated with feces.
Yet many of us who live in the country grew up with fertilizing our gardens with raw manure .
My grand parents also didn’t have indoor plumping . I can tell you for certain that everything from the nightly honey pots , went into the garden .
I don’t recall any of us ever getting sick from the vegetables we grew .

Even the wild meat we ate would not pass the standards of todays FDA .
Our big game and even Beef , we you hang in the shade for at least 5 days .
Often times when we cut it up , there would blow fly larva on the meat . we would simply scrape them off , wash the meat and wrap it up for the freezer . When it came to the lungs and hart . Yep I can remember eating raw , deer and elk liver .
But ask most biologist about doing that and they will cringe even if you cook it .

Now does that mean we developed an immunity to the bacteria. No I wouldn’t say so . More like a higher tolerance

Posts: 687 | Location: Payette ,Idaho | Registered: 23 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
This is an interesting discussion.if anyone has any real info to add,please keep it going,like most here,I always just assumed they walked out into the woods with the bears and porcupines.But the case of seriously large,permanent cities like the Ohio Valley folks would have forced some kind of collective solution.....Hmmmm

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post