New
Find
Notify
Tools

the tv series turn
 Login/Join

Factor
posted Hide Post
I'm in pretty much the same situation,but I'm gonna use your comments as a warning to pass on them if I do get an opportunity....Thanks guys...

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loyalist Dave:
Actually it's NOT ACCURATE. Granted, I have some peeves with it that most consider minor, but the Major Problem with the show is it trashes John Graves Simcoe...a most honorable man, turning him into a debaucher of married women and a sadist. He in fact after the war became the Governor General of Canada, ended slavery there 30 years prior to the rest of Britain, instituted common law, and trial by jury, etc. Many of his citizens were Americans who fled North after the end of the war as they had remained loyal to The Crown. No...TURИ has some flaws that are simply unnecessary.

LD

I saw all of season one and the first episode of season two and then got sidetracked. Well, with the rain stopping my mowing project I got on AMC's website and did an ON DEMAND marathon of all of season two over the weekend. I confess, I enjoyed watching it. I also must say the accuracy falls a bit short! Overall the cinematography is better than most. The show seems well cast and the fellow that plays a very nasty Simcoe plays the nasty to the hilt. As does the fellow that plays Robert Rogers. I am glad that Simcoe's real life counterpart was a bit more civil. Thanks Dave for the history lesson on Simcoe, much different than what the show portrays. In the end, it is only a fictional depiction of what Washington's version of the CIA were doing. I do like seeing all the horses though! I am guessing the tall ships are all computer generated images.

Posts: 32 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: 24 May 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
I remember trying to watch the first season and thinking it was boring as it could possibly be and didn't care at all for the main character or actor. I stopped watching part way through and didn't watch it again until the middle of the 2nd season and it had improved dramatically.

The current season has been nothing short of remarkable compared to the first season.

Over-the-log shooting, the second most fun you can have laying down.

Posts: 64 | Location: Volunteer State | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Crawdad
posted Hide Post
It could have been so much better IF the executive producer could have found a screenwriter that could write, a director that could direct and actors that could act.

Posts: 678 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I saw the series advertised but never had any hankering to see them. Too many of these specials end up being disappointing and I have other things to do. I much prefer to watch "Sleepy Hollow". Didn't know Washington and cohorts were also fighting demons too.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Crawdad
posted Hide Post
Its all this new stuff they're putting on. In every scene someone has to get beat up, shot or someone is having sex. I've given up on this crew producing a good historical production.

Like I said before, watching Bugs Bunny or Daffy Duck is more informative then this crap.

Posts: 678 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
I think Dave would have really enjoyed this past season. The guy who played Major John Andre (who was hanged Monday night) has been quite a hit with the female fans of the show. They seemed to like his character more than the patriot Abraham Woodhull. More loyalists in the making.

Posts: 64 | Location: Volunteer State | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
*Sigh*

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
Well, one thing I will say for the series - and everything that has been said has merit: over the top in the "personal nighttime scenes", great showing of uniforms, weapons and accoutrements, very poor portrayal of some characters, accuracies and inaccuracies glaore, etc. - the series has inspired me to do some reading on both John Simcoe and John Andre.

I think maybe I just may be developing some Loyalist leanings both from watching the series (only up to season 2, which is on DVD since I don't have cable or anything) and doing some reading about the characters in the series.

Without a doubt, the discussion on the thread here has impacted my interest in research on Simcoe and Andre. That shows the value of this forum and the people and their views who post on it.

Thank you all!

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
I know the feeling about increasing Loyalist leanings.

That's one thing about the show that they do well. They humanize the redcoats in a way that most shows or movies about the Revolution don't. Major Hewlett and Andre's character's have been very well done in that regard.

I knew Andre's story quite well but Simcoe was another story. I looked back through several of the books that I have on the war for mentions of him and he was in a couple of them.