New
Find
Notify
Tools

fur trade bales
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
Hi all, I remember some time ago there was a articale on how fur bales were wrapped in canvas, tied, and identified. I thought the articale was in Muzzleloader Magazine by Rex Allen Norman, could be wrong though. Can anyone help me out with this info ?? Thanks much

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
In the May/June 2005 issue Norman has an article called The Trapping Outfit...in it he talks about trapping...traps and packet/bales of fur...Haven't found an article of his on markings...but I seem to remember an article like that....will look some more at my old issues....
Andy

Follow me I am the Infantry

Posts: 668 | Location: Everson, Washington | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
thanks andy, I'll see if I still have that issue.

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
Hawk,
If you google "Northwest Journal" you'll find a number of essays on the Canadian fur trade. There's an article there on marking of "pieces" or bales.

Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Swanny
posted Hide Post
Here's a link to the Norwest Journal artical that Dick referred to.

The Marking of Pieces

“A good dog is so much a nobler beast than an indifferent man that one sometimes gladly exchanges the society of one for that of the other.” (William Francis Butler)

Posts: 28 | Location: Two Rivers, Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
The article was in Muzzleloader

"Thinking Outside the Box" Recreating Trapper Camps: Part II July/August 2002

Rio

Posts: 140 | Registered: 18 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post