Find
Notify
Tools

Ancient Scottish Weapons
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted
Does anyone know where I can get a digital copy IN COLOR of the book Ancient Scottish Weapons by James Drummond? It's a really great old book, and the originals cost like $1,500.00 dollars, or somthin' like that. i got a black and white digital copy a while back for 10 bucks and was hoping I could get a color copy for a "similar" price.

"Return unto me, and I will return unto you," saith the Lord of hosts.
~Malachi 3:7b

Posts: 297 | Location: MI | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of Montour
posted Hide Post

Posts: 150 | Location: Right where Im standing | Registered: 07 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
Thanks Montour! I'll be sure to check it out!

Posts: 297 | Location: MI | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
ok, so I checked out the link. I think it's the same digital copy I already have. And that one is in black and white. I was hoping for one in color.

Booshway
Picture of GreyWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ancient Scottish Weapons

Josh - the book was first published in 1873 and again in 1881, well before color photography, so I highly doubt you will find a copy in color.

aka Chuck Burrows

Posts: 616 | Location: Southern Rockies | Registered: 03 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
Chuck:
They didn't have color printing back then, but they did have color. The pictures were hand colored and then pasted into the book. I have seen pictures from this book in color, and was hoping I could find a digital copy with color photos. My copy (the same one of the celtic croft website) was scanned in greyscale. Either that, or one printing, say the one in 1873 was done in color and the second printing was done in black and white.
I'm going to search Amazon.com for it again to see if I can find it.
Thanks!
~Josh

Booshway
Picture of GreyWolf
posted Hide Post
Josh - yes they did have hand painted color plates, but whether this book after it's
initial run of 50 books was ever printed with color plates is another question - the common book of the period was printed in B & W and only higher end books had hand colored plates. Even today many books with lots of prints are printed in B & W rather than color due to cost. If you're looking for the color plate edition best bet is to use interlibrary loan.
Most of the knife and gun books I have are printed in B & W with some exceptions. My copy of Swords and Dirks by John Wallace printed in 1971 for instance was printed in B & W and Shumway's Rifles of Colonial America, a major resource for gun builders is in B & W.

BTW - have you seen Norm Flayderman's The Bowie Knife, Unsheathing an American Legend? For around $90.00 it is a must have for any one interested in period knives and Bowies. The high quality color images and primary documentation are worth much more.

aka Chuck Burrows

Posts: 616 | Location: Southern Rockies | Registered: 03 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
Yea, I guess your probably right. I really wish I could get my hands on a copy. I've been so busy with school that I still haven't gotten a chance to check Amazon again.
Hmmm... Swords and Dirks... sounds like another book I should probably check out. (Dirks are my favorite knives.)
What is interlibrary loan?
Thanks, Chuck!
~Josh

Factor
posted Hide Post
Josh,
"Interlibrary Loan" is where you check books out of a librarian's library. Or rather, the local library checks them out through their sources and you borrow the book from them.

Some books have restrictions put on their use by the library that has the book, like you can't take the book out of the library to which it is lent. But I haven't run into that restriction myself. I suspect that's reserved for super valuable books like an original printing of a Gutenburg bible by Martin Luther.

It is much easier to use than explain. Here's what you do. Go to your public library and say, "Do you have "Ancient Scottish Weapons" by James Drummond. They will say, "did you check the card catalog?" Once they figure out they don't have it, say, "I'd like to order that on Interlibrary Loan." They'll fill out a request and ask questions, at which point you can specify you want just a color version. Then they'll float the request on their network and usually within a few weeks the library will call and tell you the book is in...or they couldn't get it.

It is usually free, but I have been asked, "If there is a charge for this, how much would you be willing to pay to view this book." I think that is to put a value on their service for justifying a continuation of the program. Never-the-less, I give them an amount I would be willing to pay if it came to that...after all, where else would you get the book...

Good luck. I have received most books I requested.

Sparks

"I thought when you said you chased tornadoes, it was just a metaphor."
--soon to be ex-fiance in Twister

Posts: 247 | Location: Boise | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of GreyWolf
posted Hide Post
Josh - here's most of the dirk section from that book on swords dirks that I scanned for a friend
http://www.wrtcleather.com/1-c...ook/dirks-page1.html

The book when you can find one runs $50.00 - $300.00+

Here's three for under a $100.00 http://www.alibris.com/search/...s/isbn/9780811715096

aka Chuck Burrows

Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! I'll be sure to check this stuff out. I'm not sure If I'll quite be willing to shell out that much cash for a book yet, but I'll keep it in mind. Jud Brennan told me that one knife will usually pay for a good book, but I'm still hesiant. A knife will also pay for three others.
Thanks again! Cool
~Josh