New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kodiak's Baranov Museum
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
I'm just back from a week's visit to Kodiak, Alaska and settling in after an exciting week. One of the highlights was visiting the Baranov Museum. The building itself dates back to the early Russians who used it for storing furs. The furs and pelts had to be stored until they could be shipped back to Russia. The original log walls and structure still exist though the outer walls have been sheeted and painted white to make it look pretty.

It's not a large museum but they have one of the old brass 3" solute cannons on display and a pair of old Russian flintlock pistols. I shot pictures of them but since they were in glass cases, I had to put up with bad camera angle and some distortion through the glass.

The Baranov Museum building is the oldest structure still standing in Alaska.

Load fast and aim slow.

Posts: 1726 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I also visited Saint Herman's Chapel. The present chapel is supposed to be a copy of the original church built in 1796 which was the first Christian church built in Alaska and the first Orthodox Church in North America.

The bells for the chapel were cast in Kodiak.

Load fast and aim slow

Posts: 1726 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Idaho Mountainneer
posted Hide Post
White Finger I am jealous, very jealous.
Sounds like a cool trip.

Posts: 330 | Location: Twin Falls ID | Registered: 29 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Cool,in more ways than one.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Notchy Bob
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the post, White Finger!

I have always wanted to visit Alaska, but it's a mighty big place. It's good to hear about some specific points of interest to add to an itinerary.

I had not heard of those two sites you mentioned. I'll have to add 'em to the "wish list" of places to visit.

Notchy Bob

"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us. Should have rode horses. Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Posts: 333 | Location: Florida | Registered: 24 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Sounds like fun.

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post