muzzleloadermag.infopop.cc
The other Ft. Loudoun

This topic can be found at:
https://muzzleloadermag.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/11610091/m/5187096283

20 January 2021, 10:42 AM
Rancocas
The other Ft. Loudoun
The fact that there were two Fort Loudoun's and that both are of the French and Indian War era has long caused me some confusion.

Ft. Loudoun in Pennsylvania, sometimes spelled Loudon; I know little about, although most articles that I have seen about these colonial forts refer to the one in Penn's Woods.

However, it is Ft. Loudoun beside the Little Tennessee River here in the Cherokee lands that I am familiar with.

There was much concerned about the French coming east from the Mississippi River to influence the Cherokees west of the Appalachian Mountains and turn them against the British. So, in 1756 a company of British soldiers, along with civilian workmen and some of their wives and children, left Charlestown (Charleston, SC) and marched upcountry, crossing the mountains on what has come to be called "The Unicoi Trail".
Near a major Cherokee town on the banks of the Little Tennessee River they built Ft. Loudoun.

At first all things seem to have gone well. But gradually the situation deteriorated.
In 1760 the Cherokee surrounded and laid siege to the fort. Neither side could make headway in attacks, but after several months the British were running out of supplies. Finally, starving, they made a deal with the natives. They would abandon the fort, leaving everything, in exchange for a safe hike back across the mountains and down to Charlestown.
But, rather than leave all their gunpowder and shot to the Cherokee, the British attempted to hide it by burying it within the fort.
The ruse was soon discovered by the natives. Enraged at the deception, they set out after the British.
A day's march away from Ft. Loudoun, near the present day town of Tellico Plains, the English made camp for the night.
The Cherokee caught up with them in the early morning hours of the next day. It was a massacre!
Less than a dozen English men, women, and children survived the dawn attack. These few were taken into captivity.
Little by little over the next few years they were released to return to Charlestown.

And so, that is the basic story. Today Ft Loudoun, TN has been restored. There are monthly "garrison weekends" when historical re-enactors populate the fort, and once a year, usually in the fall, there is a colonial trade fair. A small museum outside the fort tells the story.
Just a few miles down the road is a Cherokee Museum.
Of course, the pandemic has interfered with the schedule.

I currently live about 50 miles south of Ft. Loudoun and have enjoyed going there, and especially the trade fair for quite a few years. I am hoping that things will get back to normal there after this covid thing passes.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.
21 January 2021, 11:57 AM
Boartooth
After several months of no communication, the Brits on the east side of the hills weren't at all concerned? Okaaaay.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin
21 January 2021, 05:17 PM
Rancocas
Apparently not. They had other concerns. The Brits east of the mountains were several hundred miles and over a month long walk away down in Charleston. Also, the Cherokee, as well as the Creeks, in the Carolinas east of the mountains and down in Georgia, were acting mighty belligerent toward any of the English. Most of the usual traders had been run out of the Cherokee and Creek country, or killed. Except for a couple who had married into the tribes.
Ft. Loudoun was cut off from the rest of the world and presumed lost. Which it was.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.
22 January 2021, 11:57 AM
Boartooth
Amazing to us moderns how far away some parts of this country were from each other back then.

08 August 2021, 10:49 AM
Loyalist Dave
I'm familiar with Ft. Loudon in PA..., the setting for the movie Allegheny Uprising starring John Wayne as James Smith, founder of the Black Boys.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove
17 September 2021, 07:08 PM
Rancocas
Do you save your copies of Muzzleloader Magazine?

I do. Recently I have been going over my pile of Muzzleloader Magazines and cataloging the various articles that interest me, so I will have a quick reference when I want to find something.

I was surprised to find in the MaY/June 2017 issue there is an essay about the Tennessee Fort Loudoun. I didn't remember it.
Good read if you still have that issue.

18 September 2021, 03:51 PM
Boartooth
I'll have to look in the back issues.