Notify
Tools

revenant men
 Login/Join

Factor
posted Hide Post
*snurk*

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
Maybe Hollywooden Heads could come up with a belt-fed flintlock. Then there wouldn't be the problem of firing three shots without reloading. Just wouldn't be a problem Big Grin

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
Here ya go MountainRanger,
Not quite a belt fed flintlock , more of a crew served oversized flintlock revolver but what the hey .
A Puckle gun.
Andy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: andy*,

Follow me I am the Infantry

Posts: 668 | Location: Everson, Washington | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
WOW! That's beautiful, and darned close enough... I've never seen one of those before. Thanks for sharing that, Andy

I found this... very interesting!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puckle_gun

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I think now I've seen everything.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hey Hanshi, you know... we should hang out with guys from Everson, WA so we can learn neat stuff! I liked it about being able to fire square rounds. That would smart!

Sua Sponte

Booshway
Picture of Iche Iia
posted Hide Post
I know it was mostly Hollyweird but i don't understand why they chose to put this film in the dead of winter. What this article says and what I have read before, the bear attack took place sometime in August. http://www.historynet.com/hugh...-revenant-legend.htm

Iche Iia

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

Posts: 379 | Location: Prince George, Virginia | Registered: 04 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Newoodsrunner
posted Hide Post
so true I always thought BEARS slept in the winter

Posts: 461 | Location: SW Okla | Registered: 02 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Bears do not sleep/hibernate in the winter,they go into "Torpor" read the http; that Iche Iia had at the end of his posting,,WARNING:It is a Hero killer,

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MountainRanger:
Hey Hanshi, you know... we should hang out with guys from Everson, WA so we can learn neat stuff! I liked it about being able to fire square rounds. That would smart!

I recall a long time ago, maybe the '60s or early '70s that there was a gun, handgun I think, that fired triangular cartridges they called "trounds". Anyone else remember that?

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
I read the book The Revenant years ago and was excited when I first heard they were doing a movie adaptation. I remember it being discussed on this site when word was out that they were working on the movie. I lost my excitement when I heard that Hollywood changed most everything for the movie (nothing new). I'll see it eventually. The Museum of the Mountain Man in Pinedale, WY put up a good fact vs fiction page on Glass' story and the movie.

http://hughglass.org/the-legend/revenant-the-movie/

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Posts: 212 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 17 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
I recall a long time ago, maybe the '60s or early '70s that there was a gun, handgun I think, that fired triangular cartridges they called "trounds". Anyone else remember that?[/QUOTE]
Hanshi,
Waaay off topic but here ya go. LOL
It was called a Dardick and it was a magazine fed revolver.
It came in .22 , .30 and .38 calibers
Andy

Posts: 668 | Location: Everson, Washington | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
And here are the "Trounds"
Andy

Factor
posted Hide Post
How fascinating......Never heard of it....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Finally got to see it yesterday m wife n I both liked it. Yeah it has artistic liscene n hollyweird bull all over it but it's an enjoyable day at the movies. It's a movie Not an historical documentary. N way better then most of what hollyweird puts out. Worth the money n one ya need to see on the big screen to get the real effect of it.

Posts: 229 | Location: Southeast Pa. | Registered: 03 February 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I still haven't been able to see The Revenant, but it was nice to read that it took Best Actor last night at the awards. Nice to see one of "OUR" movies get recognized.

Sua Sponte

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Well Yay... The Revenant is finally coming to this little theater just off the Virginia Tech campus called the Lyric. It's one of those 20s-30s restored theater that shows 'interesting' movies. hehe

I'll get to see it either over the weekend or Monday when they have free popcorn for members (those of us who contribute to it's upkeep)

Sua Sponte

Booshway
posted Hide Post
It's out on DVD now I just bought it a Wallmart today.....Smiler

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Notchy Bob
posted Hide Post
I finally saw The Revenant, and thought it was very good. I think I first read about Hugh Glass when I was a child, and I am well aware of the discrepancies between the history (as we believe it) and the movie. However, I don't think it was the director's intention to make a documentary.

I guess what really prompted me to go see it was receiving both The American Rifleman and True West in the same week. The current issues of both magazines have articles about the movie.

One of the local theaters is still playing it on the big screen at 12:00 noon on Saturday and Sunday only. I don't spend much of my free time in town, but when I learned a little more about this picture, I figured I'd better go in and see it while I had the chance.

It was brutal, as some of you have said, but the violence was not gratuitous. It was part of the story.

It was also long, I think around two and a half hours, with no intermission. If you are an older guy, like me and a lot of the rest of the folks here, don't drink anything for several hours before showtime. I was pretty dry by the end of the show, but I didn't have to get up in the middle of it and miss anything.

The outdoor cinematography and natural light were beautiful. The outfits, weapons, and language were well researched overall. Even though the "Northwest guns" appeared to be Dixie/Pedersoli Brown Bess Trade Guns, I don't think this detracted.

After I saw the movie, I started reading more about it, mostly online. There have been lots of reviews, reflecting the opinions of many individual reviewers. All I can say is it must be cool to be critical these days, because hardly anybody says anything good. The American Rifleman article found fault because the original Hugh Glass was motivated by a compelling desire to get his rifle back, while the character in the movie wanted to avenge his son. The True West articles picked it to pieces for historical inaccuracy and also because it was "filmed in Argentina" (it was filmed in Alberta, but they had a warm spell that melted the snow before they finished. They found a site in the mountains of Patagonia with plenty of snow, and completed the final scenes there). Some guy writing for The New Yorker actually criticized the director for shooting the movie on location, saying it showed a "lack of imagination." He thought it should have been filmed on a "green screen" (?) so the director could use more imagination. A feminist website criticized it for having only two principal roles for women (Glass's deceased Pawnee wife and Powaqa, the Ree lady who was kidnapped), and they had some problems with the way the women were represented. Someone who survived mauling by a bear in California said the bear attack in the movies was "risibly inaccurate." And, of course, there are those who criticize the way the indigenous people are shown, even though the native actors themselves seem to be pretty happy with it. The list of critics goes on.

However, Notchy Bob gives The Revenant two thumbs up. I know it's out on video now, but I would recommend seeing it on the big screen if you can.

Best regards,
Notchy Bob

"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us. Should have rode horses. Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Posts: 333 | Location: Florida | Registered: 24 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Idaho Mountainneer
posted Hide Post
Bob I couldn't agree with you more. It'snot a documentary, it's entertainment. As I've said before, I hope it inspires people to look into the real history of the mountain men.

Not sure if anyone has seen this article but here is what the Wall Street Journal has to say about the movie and us living historians.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/th...ter-stage-1459111312

Posts: 330 | Location: Twin Falls ID | Registered: 29 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post