New
Find
Notify
Tools

Washington DC
 Login/Join

Hivernant
posted
Will be going to DC the week of the 10th with the family. Got a tour of the white house and capital lined up. Family has never been there for the holidays. Anything from our historical period that I may want to see while there?

Posts: 101 | Location: Davidsville , PA | Registered: 10 August 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Get in touch with your State REP they can get you tickets to all the buildings,White House,Capital,mint,Senate,House,Supreme Court, Inside the Rotundra.I was stationed in D.C.for four years.Reps get you tickets to get into all the buildings,,OH and you do not stand in line ,you have a different entrance, with a tour guide.

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
I could spend a couple of months at the Smithsonian!

Posts: 197 | Registered: 15 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Back in 1964 we had a graduating senior trip that summer to the World's Fair. We spent some time in DC and toured the White House and a bunch of other places. I was disappointed that we did not tour the one with the dinosaurs. We went to the one with planes and other stuff; very interesting but not as interesting as dinosaurs. Had a good tour of NYC, too.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Already have tours lined up for the whitehouse and capital. Planned on taking them to the washington and jefferson memorials also. My lil girl is three and loves dinosaurs, will go to the museum for sure. I didnt know if there was anything in the area on muzzleloading. Wife found some info on Washington's Mt Vernon, that looks interesting. Last time I was in DC, the Vietnam memorial was not built yet,will go see it also. I had a bunch of Hilton Honor points saved up from work travel, so I got a nice room in the wharf district over the river.

Posts: 101 | Location: Davidsville , PA | Registered: 10 August 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Have not been to Colonial Williamsburg in years either. Will plan a spring trip.

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Wife want's to see the Christmas trees and stuff.

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I still remember being impressed with Mt Vernon. And it's been years since I've been to Williamsburg.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Good Luck!
Mt. Vernon and Williamsburg are fine, but they are not in D.C.. It has been over 40 years since I went to the Smithsonian. I enjoyed that. However, for the last 30 years I have tried to avoid Washinton D.C. at all costs!

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Hunts4Deer
posted Hide Post
Mount Vernon is about 30 minutes downriver from DC on the George Washington Parkway. They have "Mount Vernon by Candlelight" and "Mount Vernon Illumination" events going on while you're here.

On the way to/from Mount Vernon, there is Gadsby's Tavern (1752) in Alexandria, VA. It is an historic tavern with great food (a bit on the expensive side). There is a small museum, too.

In DC The Smithsonian Museums are all free. The "Dinosaur" museum of natural history is great, but you also might like the American History Museum.

Also the National Museum of the American Indian in nearby downtown DC also.

DC has a National Zoo your 3-year old would like.

If you like guns, the NRA has a very extensive museum that includes lots of historic weapons, including muzzleloaders of the colonial era. NRA National Firearms Museum in Fairfax, Virginia is maybe 40 minutes outside DC, in the direction of Dulles Airport.

In that same direction, right next to Dulles airport, is the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum Annex. It is better than the main Air and Space museum in downtown DC.

The Ford Theater (Lincoln assassination) has a small museum with the original pistol used.

On your way into DC from PA, right along your route, stop in to see Fort Frederick in Big Pool, MD (exit 12 off I-70). It is an original 1756 Stone Fort built to defend the Maryland frontier in the French and Indian War.

I think December 10 is the final day of Claude Moore Colonial Farm (1771.org) in Mclean, VA, just across the road from CIA headquarters.

Hope that's helpful.

John
Vive le Roy!

Posts: 513 | Location: Colony of Maryland | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Arlington National Cemetery. The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier... if that doesn't somber you up... you ain't alive.

General Lee's place is worth a look, top of the hill in Arlington.

anything worth shooting is worth shooting once.

Posts: 126 | Location: Demokratik Republik of Washington | Registered: 29 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Mt. Vernon!

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post