New
Find
Notify
Tools

Farleys graveyard
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
I grew up in Allenwood PA. On a ridge not far away is an old graveyard surrounded by a stonewall. Lond as I remember it was called Farleys Graveyard. Some of the markers have that name on it. Someone puts flags on some of th graves. Or at least used to. Story always was that some of those buried there fought in the Revolutionary War. I firgured someone here might know something about it

I never have been much for drinking the kool-aid.It's not in my nature.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central Pennsyltucky | Registered: 12 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
The county will have records, they have to keep track of where bodies are buried, even in private grave yards, in case the land gets sold and somebody builds houses there (especially with basements).

You might be able to access past newspaper articles online, or contact the local paper for archives access. Chances are somebody wrote an article about the graves at some time.

It's funny how some stuff gets started and becomes "gospel". A local town out here has a "tea party" festival (not a modern type) as there was a story that the town had an action similar to the Boston Tea Party when the town learned of what was happening up in Boston..., when a friend did some research it turned out to be propaganda from the Centennial [1876].

They still hold the festival... it makes money for the town. Big Grin

So... it's possible that members of the family fought in the Rev War, but not be buried there, or it could be a later war, and the story changed to Rev War, or it could be 100% accurate.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dave it's a great afternoon outside and I'm in here gett'n a headache. Actually I was wait'n for bread to come out of the oven and thought I would start look'n per your advice. I did find out that the Farley cemetary is listed as such for the offical record. And I found a book on Union County Revolutionary War Soldiers that I can get at the county courthouse.I was places on the web that I don't know how I got there or back. But am headed in the right direction. I live in the country and have dail up, so omethings take forever to try to download. Thanks for the push.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central Pennsyltucky | Registered: 12 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Graveyards can be fascinating places. I don't know anything about Farley's graveyard, but I've come upon plenty of others during my wandering. Overgrown with honeysuckle, brambles, saplings, and trees. Isolated on remote knobs and ridges, sometimes in a quiet, shady mountain cove where people seldom go. Once there was a road or path, but now they are mostly inaccessible except by a long cross country hike on foot. Lost. Forgotten.

As a kid growing up in the 1950's we sometimes played in a small, overgrown graveyard. The stones that were still legible there dated from the 1860's. We thought they were Civil War veterans, but later I learned that it was a negro graveyard from that era.

Up in Franklin County in the northern Adirondack Mountains of New York, far back in the woods, I stumbled upon three old graves. The stones were too worn away to read the engraving any more. Nearby, I found the crumbling remains of a stone foundation. I remember reading in the history of that county that the first white child born there was in 1816.

Down here in the mountains of southeast Tennessee I have found many small, family graveyards scattered in isolated spots throughout the mountains. In most cases the tombstones are simply a slab of shale or sandstone set up on end. Most have no writing on them. However, there are some engraved stones. One that I remember says that the man was killed by guerillas in 1863. (There was a lot of guerilla activity and bushwhacking in this area during the Civil War)

I also have found, here, several separate rock piles in widely scattered, remote locations through the mountains. I don't know for sure, but I have been told that they are the very old graves of Cherokees from a time before the arrival of whitemen.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hey Dave! Progress. I remembered that I know someone who is a member of the Sons of the American Revolution. So a couple of e-mails later... Caleb Farley was a 1st Lt. NJ Militia. His brother John Farley was in McCallans Co1 PA Militia. Now I have to do some research on McCallan.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Rancocas according to the family tree I have or had kinfolk in the Johnsonburg area.