New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wounded knee
 Login/Join

Graybeard
posted
Just watched a document on Dennis Banks n 1973 occupation of Wounded Knee. I graduated High school in 72 and try to remember what was taught about Natives while in school. Practicly zip except Pocahontas n Custer. It's sad how little the general public knows of Natives and even less of what our government did to them. Even today people expect Indians to be dressed in skins n feathers and that is truly sad

Posts: 229 | Location: Southeast Pa. | Registered: 03 February 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
What our government did to the indigenous people of this continent should have had a few hangings and not the 38 Native Americans that were hung in Mankato, MN. for their part in the 1862 Uprising,

Crimes against humanity that should have had military leaders and civilian leaders alike on the scaffolding. One would think Presidents had to sign off on those actions, maybe they could be first.

Posts: 32 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: 24 May 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Sure, and while we are at it, we should go back and execute General Henry Bouquet for his advocacy of germ warfare. Then Vlad the Impaler, followed by the Ottomans, the Moors, The Huns and The Mongols for their brutalities. Perhaps ending with the Romans. Of course ignoring Lenin, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot.

OR, we can recognize that we have evolved a sense of overall right and wrong (which the left will tell you is situational), when it comes to warfare, which BTW didn't exits until AFTER WWII because The Allies Won (had they been defeated, there would not have been Nuremberg), and go from there, because we cannot change history, nor can we make reparations to the dead.

All we can do is our best to prevent ourselves from doing it in the future, and to oppose those who are doing it now.

So instead of griping that folks in past centuries should've known as much about human rights as we do in the 20th century...., I will worry about ISIS..., which is NOT (regardless of what so called "experts" state) a reaction to "imperialism" of any sort.

We now return you to the time period prior to 1840....

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Thank you,LD,I didn't know there were any others with their heads screwed on straight...

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
+1 Loyalist Dave. We cant change the past the best we can hope for is that we learn from it and dont make the same mistakes in the future.

Some people are born to be tied down, some people are born to be free.

Posts: 21 | Registered: 27 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
The wrongs of a given period are a function of the prejudices and mores of that period. Comparatively speaking, WE live in an enlightened age. WWII in the Pacific was barbarity, absolute barbarity compared to how soldiers operate today. Of course, there was a reason for that: We were fighting a foe who had no respect for life as we define it. It would be interesting to see how the West would operate against ISIS on the ground, they have some similar ideas on life and death as did the Japanese. We can always condemn from afar (in time) but I submit that folks thought differently then than we do now (that's the advantage of that time being history to us) and they had some pretty strong aggravations against Native Americans AND vice versa which led to deep prejudices, based on many years of tit for tat across the country starting from the Colonial period. We can try to learn from the mistakes made by all in those days and try to live better lives in our so-called enlightened age. One can hope, anyway.

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Wow that went a direction I didn't expect! The only thing I was pointing out was the lack of real history our educational system teaches. To much of our history has been twisted with inaccurate supposed facts. I know history is written as the winners see it but it is still being taught the same way today.

Posts: 229 | Location: Southeast Pa. | Registered: 03 February 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Iche Iia
posted Hide Post
Sound wisdom LD

Iche Iia

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

Posts: 379 | Location: Prince George, Virginia | Registered: 04 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
Interesting discussion. I've often thought that, while indeed someone is "a man of his time" and the common ethic does shape belief and action, there are reasons not to take that too seriously. For example, there were people "of a time" who were against slavery, and had good reasons to be so. The fact that others thought slavery (of others, not themselves) was okay doesn't negate that the anti-slavery people were also "of their time." I don't really think that's a good excuse or explanation. Differences in education or upbringing or poor religious training could be the real reasons.

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
Good points, Dick. I thought about the 'nature v. nurture aspect of my own thoughts later and slavery is a perfect example of that. Of those who knew (know) it was wrong = Nature, being part of that social, religious or educated environment... those who argue(d)for it equated to Nurture - growing up and living within it's acceptance and accepting it in their stead. Glad you stirred my thoughts toward clarification. I shouldn't have missed that first time around.

Great wrongs are still wrong greatly, whether it was at Wounded Knee, the massacre of settlers of Cherry Valley, or slavery.

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
History is an issue with me. When a social agenda gets in the way then the lessons go down the tube. We can analyze ancient Roman and Greek history without getting all worked up about whether Alexander the Great was a bad guy, etc. but our own history is too fresh.
Talk about western history and the treatment of indigenous people takes center stage.
Talk about the civil war, the slavery issue ends up being the dialog.

How will the world view us in 100 years with our war on terrorism? I have no idea. It seems justified to those of us alive right now.

How did these things seem years ago to the people of that day? I have no idea.

To the best of my knowledge the townsfolk of western Nebraska at the time thought what happened at Wounded Knee was unjustified. Innocent people were killed because a few folks in the army was itching to get even for Custer.
Marie Sandow's book on her father, "Jules" gives a first hand account along these lines.

Posts: 54 | Registered: 14 November 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I can tell you one thing, Bubba; 100 years from now will find the South still suffering from Reconstruction, which never has ended even after 150+ years. This isn't overlooking the continued demonization of the people, either. Slave holder U.S. Grant was celebrated while NON slave holder, R.E. Lee's memory is being expunged just as his name and monuments
are.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Well, as long as we don't get worked up about it.

Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
BTW: I went to the Little Big Horn site 2 years ago. I thought I came from "the good guy" side but was very positively told I was on the "bad guy" side.
What would grandfather say.....

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Bubba, he'd probably say, "You should have known better"!

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Don't ever expect the descendants of the losing side to agree with the descendants of the winning side....If they do.....Count your change.....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post