Find
Notify
Tools

Tecumseh's Trade gun
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/

That is the link to a pretty good story about the making of a copy of Tecumseh's.
Thought you all might like a look.
Its posted on March 8th.
TC

Posts: 486 | Location: Illinois River Valley | Registered: 02 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I read this story this morning. Very good story!
Great site!! I check it out every day, always very good pictures and stories.
-Tony

Posts: 349 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 14 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
Good article! I've actually seen the Tecumseh gun at the MoFT, which is well worth a visit.

What's the deal with the round hole in the hammer (frizzen)? I've got an idea or two, but really have no clue...

Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Paraphrasing the reply I just got from Larry here is what the build team speculated that frizzen hole was all about:
There is a hole in the frizzen on the original gun as well. The original frizzen was soled, so the hole may have been drilled to feed soldier into the joint between the frizzen and sole when it was attached. When Matt Denison assembled the lock for the copy gun, he added the hole and soled it's frizzen as well.

sounds good to me, especially since Matt replicated the process on the copy gun as well...

tc

This message has been edited. Last edited by: T.Albert,

Posts: 486 | Location: Illinois River Valley | Registered: 02 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
Well, that's not what I thought up on my own, but it makes better sense.
Sometimes what we think of as "authentic" doesn't relate to what people actually did!

Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Notchy Bob
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that link! Kudos to all the folks who gave of their time and resources to see that project through to completion!

Notchy Bob

"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us. Should have rode horses. Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Posts: 333 | Location: Florida | Registered: 24 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Keep looking there every week...the auction will have nearly 2 dozen fine items including many recreated Tecumseh artifacts, a special "Hunters of Kentucky" Dickertt rifle with a half horse half alligator silver inlay, a museum worthy copy of the beaded pouch Sam Houston gave to Genl. Jackson and many others.
Each of the items will have a special blog story and photos posted there on the Contempoeary Makers Blog.
TC

Posts: 29 | Registered: 04 May 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Don't tell Mike ,but I think that is one good looking gun.

I never have been much for drinking the kool-aid.It's not in my nature.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central Pennsyltucky | Registered: 12 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Awesome project.

Posts: 207 | Location: The Folle Avoine | Registered: 19 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post