MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  History    What is your favorite book?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your favorite book?
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
I have read:

The Journal of a Trapper by Osbourne Russell
The Oregon Trail by Francis Parkman
The Mountain Men by George Laycock
Captain Bonneville by Washington Irving
Woodcraft by G.W. Sears
...and a few others.

Does anyone have any suggestions on similar books, or books about general Backwoodsman times, histories, etc. that they would like to share? Thanks.

"...having Providence for their founder and Nature for shepherd, gardener, and historian."

Posts: 44 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 01 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
Life in the far west.....and Adventures in Mexico and the Rocky mountains...both by George Ruxton.
Wah-to-yah and the Taos trail...by lewis Garrard.
All three are my favorites for reading about the fur trade.
Andy

Follow me I am the Infantry

Posts: 668 | Location: Everson, Washington | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
andy*
Thanks! I will look them up!

"...having Providence for their founder and Nature for shepherd, gardener, and historian."

Posts: 44 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 01 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Patrick, try Journal of a Mountain Man, Forty Years A Trader On The Upper Missouri, and the DVD's Challenge of the Trail, and Dress And Equipage Of The Mountain Man both by Jeff Hengesbaugh and Wes Housler.

Scarhand

Posts: 226 | Location: Fort Hall, ID | Registered: 11 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Scarhand

Thanks! I will look those up!

Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Your Welcome. Smiler

By the way, I forgot to mention the Mark Baker videos The Long Hunter Series too. Wrong era, but some helpful information.

Scarhand

Posts: 226 | Location: Fort Hall, ID | Registered: 11 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of GreyWolf
posted Hide Post
you can get several RMFT era journals and more on this site for free:
http://www.xmission.com/~drudy/amm.html

Also check Google Books and Archive.org - on both here are lots of fur trade journals and more - use fur trade ss a search term

aka Chuck Burrows

Posts: 616 | Location: Southern Rockies | Registered: 03 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Pare-
posted Hide Post
Good post, Chuck.

Posts: 104 | Location: Little River, I.T. | Registered: 06 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of bangfxr
posted Hide Post
Gone for Soldiers (Mexican War)
Gods and Generals (Early CW)
Killer Angles (Gettysburg)
Last Full Measure (To end of CW)

Families sleep peaceably in their beds at night as there are rough men about who will do violence in their behalf.

Posts: 48 | Location: Indianapolis. | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Leonard
posted Hide Post
"Narrative of the Adventures of Zenas Leonard"
"Life in the Rocky Mountains" - Ferris

Posts: 46 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 28 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
"A Sorrow in Our Hearts", and "Dark and Bloody River" by Allen Eckhart.
The Titus Bass Trilogy, by Terry Johnson
"Daniel Boone" by Ted Franklin Belue

" You do with your scalp as you wish and don't be telling us what to with ours."

Posts: 158 | Location: lake champlain, vt | Registered: 03 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I go back to "Seedtime on the Cumberland" time and again to get insight into the times.

Posts: 332 | Location: South Coast (MS) | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Two of the best that I've read in the past few years are: "Undaunted Courage" and "1776".

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
The Nez Perce and the opening of the northwest.
The journals of Peter Ogden. My life on the prairie by George Armstrong Custer.

Posts: 16 | Location: Baker City, Oregon | Registered: 21 June 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
I have shelves of mountain man era books and most are superb reads. I'm currently wrapping up one on john colter (for about the third time)
and as hanshi said, undaunted courage is awesome.

but when asked I will always go with journal of a trapper by osbourne russell as THE best of all.

Posts: 125 | Location: eden, utah | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Dio
posted Hide Post
The Alan Eckert series of books...Narratives of America.

Posts: 3 | Location: Windyana | Registered: 19 July 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Oliver Wiswell by Kenneth Roberts (also wrote Northwest Passage) . I don't just like it because it's about a loyalist (go figure)..., I liked it as it was published in the year prior to WWII and he did a very good job in getting the reader to be on the side of the main character just as America was getting ready to go to war, and while Europe had already begun WWII. That's not an easy thing to do in such times.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Journal of a trapper by Osborn Russell
A Majority of Scoundrels by Don Berry
Rocky Mountain Rendezvous by Fred Gowens
Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose.

Too many to list, and none of them are fiction novels.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
I just read A Tale of Two Cities by Dickens.
León

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of SCLoyalist
posted Hide Post
Three Roads to the Alamo, by Davis , and Fort Robinson by Chandler. Davis's book covers the careers of Crockett, Travis, and Bowie. Fort Robinson is about F&I War era Pennsylvania, seen from both Scot-Irish and Delaware Indian viewpoints.

Here's a health to the King and a lasting Peace. May Faction end and Wealth increase....Old Loyalist Ballad

Posts: 767 | Location: Panhandle Florida | Registered: 02 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post