MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  History    What is your favorite book?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your favorite book?
 Login/Join

Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Too hard to narrow it down to just one.
My non-fiction favorites are:
Life in the Rock Mountains by Ferris
Narrative of the Adventures... by Leonard
Journal of a Trapper by Russell

Fiction favorites are:
All 9 books in the Titus Bass series by Terry C Johnston
All 4 books in the Temple Buck series by Edward Louis Henry
The Big Sky by A.B. Guthrie

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Posts: 212 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 17 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
A tad late for our time period, but just starting "Lincoln at Cooper Union", by Harold Holzer.

So far I'm fer it, and not ag'in in.

Squintin'atthepages'Sticks

As long as there's Limb Bacon a man'll eat! (But mebbe not his wife...)

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rifleman1776:
There is no single 'best' I can pick out. I usually drift to historical fiction. The reading is both interesting and informative. Pure history can be a tedious read. Currenty reading a h/s about the British navy set in 1803 about their war with France and Spain on the seas. Hard to imagine why someone would volunteer to be a seaman in those days, the conditions were inbeliveably harsh. Explains why so many had to be forcibly impressed.

Rifleman, you talking about the Aubrey/Mauturin novels by Patrick O'Brien? Some of my all time favorites, although not necessarily our arena here. I've read all 20 books and several of them twice.

A little more obscure, but dealing with my era/location in the Great Lakes, one of my favorites is "My First Years in the Fur Trade" by George Nelson. Nelson's first post was on the river I grew up on, just downstream a few miles.

Also "Travels and Adventures in Canada and the Indian Territories 1760-1776" by Alexander Henry.

Posts: 207 | Location: The Folle Avoine | Registered: 19 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
I started reading the Federalist Papers by John Jay. Hamilton and Madison also contributed. Along with Meachum's book on Jefferson, I am getting a real education about the forming of the Federal constitutional government of the U.S.
León

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Just finished reading "Emperor Of The North, by James Raffan...the story of the Hudson"s Bay Co. A very comprehensive history of the man and the Company.....Gary

" You do with your scalp as you wish and don't be telling us what to with ours."

Posts: 158 | Location: lake champlain, vt | Registered: 03 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
That's a very good one.
quote:
Originally posted by vthunter:
Just finished reading "Emperor Of The North, by James Raffan...the story of the Hudson"s Bay Co. A very comprehensive history of the man and the Company.....Gary

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
I am reading Sons of a Trackless Forrest,it is going to take a spell though,526 pages PLUS over 400 pages in references,but so far very good read.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
I am just about finished with the Federalist Papers. Eye opening. Many of the things the men who protested against the Constitution are coming to be now in the USA. I am still glad that the country ratified the constitution. Good government depends on honest men with a genuine interest in protecting the REAL liberties the constitution gives us. One cannot make enough laws to protect our real liberties when scoundrels and taitors are running the country.
Jefferson's life in politics (The Art of Power, Meecham) is a real page turner. A real testiment to how hard men had to fight to preserve our liberties as soon as the Revolution was won.

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
MtnMike,how did you acquire a copy of THAT?

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
I bet the University of O has a copy?

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Win Blevins- Give your Heart to the Hawks, a tribute to the Mountain Men..

Sold my copy of "Sons of a Trackless Forest" for $500.00

"The Woodsman" by Donald Wright
"The Captives" by Donald Wright

Posts: 15 | Registered: 06 January 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I don't live close enough to Eugene to check,but you bring up a good idea,I do have a college nearby,not to mention a fairly good Public Library.

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Fincastle
posted Hide Post
mtnmike,

I don't suppose you'd rent out your copy of S.O.T.F. when you're done with it would you? I almost bought Tom Black's copy a few months ago, but I just couldn't seem to bring myself around to paying his asking price for it, even though it was very reasonable considering what I've seen others want for theirs.

Just askin' I understand if the answer is no.

Thanks,

Fin

A nod's as good as a blink to a blind horse

Posts: 143 | Location: Indiana Territory | Registered: 22 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
Finny my friend,,I borrowed the book from a library, If I had my own copy I would gladly loan it out,because there is no use of trying to jack people just because you can,,I hope everyone that is trying to scalp someone on the price of that book NEVER gets to sell it.
By the way ,,I got word Mark is going to print another edition.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Reading BEFORE LEWIS AND CLARK by Shirley Christian. This book delves extensively into the western fur trade dynasty that the Chouteau (pronounced Show-toe) family developed in St. Louis in the late 1700's though the 1800's, and their interactions with the Osage as well as the various governments that held sway over the Louisiana Territory. Very well written and researched. If you want to better understand the inter-connections of the prominent characters in the development of the Rocky Mountain Fur Trade, I hardily recommend the reading of this book.

Regards, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 532 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the referral,sounds interesting....

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
I am reading COMMON SENSE right now. Boy does he nail it.
El Leon

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
Just finished "A. Lincoln." Really enjoyed it. Hoping to find one on his fight for the 13th amendment. Only one I've found is written for middle schoolers. I'll hold out for another.

Fiddlesticks

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
Recently, I just finished reading Richard Carvel by Winston Churchill, and then The Black Arrow by Robert Louis Stevenson. Both are incredible historical literature. Richard Carvel is about a young colonist who fights alongside John Paul Jones. The Black Arrow is about a young man during the Wars of the Roses in Britian.

"Return unto me, and I will return unto you," saith the Lord of hosts.
~Malachi 3:7b

Posts: 297 | Location: MI | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I'll be dogged!---is that book by THE Winston Churchill? Ol' Winnie?

Jehoshaphat!---it's free on Kindle! Lemme see now . . . punch that button right there . . . lessee, lessee . . . waiting . . . Got it!

Done read Black Arrow; I'll take a whack at this'n.

Thanks Josh.

Fiddlesticks