MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  History    What is your favorite book?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your favorite book?
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of NWTF Longhunter
posted Hide Post
Anything by Allan Eckert, "The Frontiersman", "That Dark and Bloody River" are two of my favorites.

Posts: 797 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 29 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
Mine is We Were Soldiers Once and Young by Harold G. Moore and Joseph Galloway. I served two tours in the Central Highlands in Viet Nam, Republic of (different time and unit)but the scenes and descriptions scared the crap out of me all over again hehe Big Grin... oh, I also really enjoy The Corps series (10 books) by W.E.B. Griffin.

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
WE ARE SOILDERS STILL.....tells of their return trip to Viet Nam in the 90's....that's a good read as well....
Andy

Follow me I am the Infantry

Posts: 668 | Location: Everson, Washington | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I did two tours in the central highlands as well. Both the book and movie effect me.
quote:
Originally posted by MountainRanger:
Mine is We Were Soldiers Once and Young by Harold G. Moore and Joseph Galloway. I served two tours in the Central Highlands in Viet Nam, Republic of (different time and unit)but the scenes and descriptions scared the crap out of me all over again hehe Big Grin... oh, I also really enjoy The Corps series (10 books) by W.E.B. Griffin.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
The book that I read most regularly at this time, usually in the morning while waiting for daylight, is "the Encyclopedia of Trade Goods, Vol. 1, Firearms of the Fur Trade." I've learned a lot from it.

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I just finished "Killing Jesus", I thought it was excellent. Reading "Killing Patton" next.
INRI

It's not the first time, I've protected my hair, in just such a manner.

Posts: 44 | Location: Independence, MO. | Registered: 28 September 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
I read KILLING LINCOLN and KILLING PATTON. I have KILLING KENNEDY on my kindle. I haven't bought KILLING JESUS yet but I might.
El Leon(

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Just finished "A Hunters Wandering in Africa", by F.C. Sealous....an interesting read of an old time adventurer travelling The Dark Continent in the last of the 19th century, hunting with a pair of 4 ga. BP rifles!....Gary

" You do with your scalp as you wish and don't be telling us what to with ours."

Posts: 158 | Location: lake champlain, vt | Registered: 03 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fiddlesticks:
I'll be dogged!---is that book by THE Winston Churchill? Ol' Winnie?

Jehoshaphat!---it's free on Kindle! Lemme see now . . . punch that button right there . . . lessee, lessee . . . waiting . . . Got it!

Done read Black Arrow; I'll take a whack at this'n.

Thanks Josh.

Fiddlesticks

The American, Winston Churchill. Not the Brit. Wink In fact, being contemporaries of eachother, the American wrote the Prime Minister and told him one of them should change their name to avoid confusion. But he also wrote that there would be no chance that he himself would be the one to do it! So the Prime Minister took to signing Sir before his name. Big Grin Btw, when u get through with Richard Carval, read The Crises by the same author.

"Return unto me, and I will return unto you," saith the Lord of hosts.
~Malachi 3:7b

Posts: 297 | Location: MI | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Well, tie me over a barl and give me a whoopin'! You mean we've got one, too? I'll be dogged again . . .

I'll check out that other book . . .

Thanks.

Fiddlesticks

As long as there's Limb Bacon a man'll eat! (But mebbe not his wife...)

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
King James Bible.

The biography of George Drouillard (pr: Drewyer), Hunter & Interpreter for the Lewis & Clark Expedition and Fur Trader 1807-1810, by Skarsten. A rather unwieldy title, but a great read.

He was hired by L&C as a hunter. Clark sent him after the deserter Bissonnette with the order to "bring him back, dead or alive...". Dead. He was later tried for murder in St Louis, but acquitted on the grounds that an expedition had the same rules RE: desertion from a ship.

Fantastic read.

Posts: 363 | Registered: 25 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Hello!

I just recently bought original 1911 and 1913 1st Editions of George Bird Grinnell's "Trails of the Pathfinders" and "Beyond the Old Frontier." These are my favorite two books as they are shortened versions of multiple story's and books about the early fur traders and explorers. I have been searching for these in hard cover for quite some time now. I was really happy to find them. They are in great shape with clean pages and that old book smell. If you like old hard cover books check out biblio.com but don't buy any of the old fur trade books as they are on my wishlist. Wink

Thanks for all of the book suggestions and discussions.

"...having Providence for their founder and Nature for shepherd, gardener, and historian."

Posts: 44 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 01 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
It was Manuel Lisa who sent George Drouillard after Bissonette. The Corps of Discovery deserter that Drouillard recovered was Moses Reed. Interestingly, George Shannon was on the Jury that aquitted Drouillard.
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter

The biography of George Drouillard (pr: Drewyer), Hunter & Interpreter for the Lewis & Clark Expedition and Fur Trader 1807-1810, by Skarsten. A rather unwieldy title, but a great read.

He was hired by L&C as a hunter. Clark sent him after the deserter Bissonnette with the order to "bring him back, dead or alive...". Dead. He was later tried for murder in St Louis, but acquitted on the grounds that an expedition had the same rules RE: desertion from a ship.

Fantastic read.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
That sounds pretty interesting. I'll look for that at the library.

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of kopfjaeger
posted Hide Post
Last Of The Mohicans. by James Fenimore Cooper

War On The Run. by John F. Ross

Drums Along The Mowhawk. by Walter D. Edmonds

Master Of The Wilderness ( Daniel Boone ). by John Edwin Bakeless

" A godly man and his rifle deprive sleep from the wicked, A christian man who prays is the defeater of evil, A praying man who will fight is the conqueror of nations and the hope of the oppressed "

Posts: 51 | Registered: 07 April 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Received the book "Voyages of the Steamboat Yellow Stone" by Donald Jackson for my birthday in August. It is a good read of the impact the pioneering steamboat had on the Upper Missouri River and the western fur trade. And its major role in the creation of the Republic of Texas.

Regards, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 532 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kopfjaeger:

Last Of The Mohicans. by James Fenimore Cooper

War On The Run. by John F. Ross

Drums Along The Mowhawk. by Walter D. Edmonds

Master Of The Wilderness ( Daniel Boone ). by John Edwin Bakeless

Interesting that you mentioned Last of the Mohicans, I tried to read that book twice, but (1)its past my reading level, and (2)that singer guy that was traveling with them drove me crazy. I found it a very strange story for a classic. I did skip to the very back to see who the Last Mohican was. I was a bit shocked and saddened. I am not a big fan of novels as I hate being riled up or saddened by fictional stories. (Which is also why I haven't ever finished Ruxton's books. I know, Im sorry, Im sorry.) Im glad that Last of the Mohicans is one of your favorite books. It was not one of mine, but that is why they write lots of books right?

On a side note: I once borrowed a book, (a thick paper back copy) and never finished it before returning, about Crazy Horse and Custer. It was a modern book that parallels their lives. I think it had a good deal about Crazy Horse's early life as unknowingly told by Francis Parkman's The Oregon Trail (Probably my all time favorite book.) as Parkman lived with his family in his travels. I would like to read the Custer/Crazy Horse book in parallel with Parkman this winter.

I do not know the name of the Custer/Crazy Horse book. Does anybody have any suggestions as to the name?

Thanks for all of the book suggestions. I hope to do a lot more paper thumbing and much, much less iphoneing this winter.

"...having Providence for their founder and Nature for shepherd, gardener, and historian."

Posts: 44 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 01 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Try this one:

Crazy Horse and Custer: The Parallel Lives of Two American Warriors
by Stephen E. Ambrose

Sua Sponte

Graybeard
posted Hide Post
To many to pick a real favorite because of so many of my varied interests. Mark Bakers books, john Curry's articles n book along with books on Gengus Khan, Vikings, and modern books like the Patriot series by Rawles. Fiction, non fiction, novels, hands on diy, all can be informative in their own way. Even catalogs of antique tools,axes,knives etc can be enlightening and aid in answering questions

Posts: 229 | Location: Southeast Pa. | Registered: 03 February 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loyalist Dave:
Oliver Wiswell by Kenneth Roberts (also wrote Northwest Passage) . I don't just like it because it's about a loyalist (go figure)..., I liked it as it was published in the year prior to WWII and he did a very good job in getting the reader to be on the side of the main character just as America was getting ready to go to war, and while Europe had already begun WWII. That's not an easy thing to do in such times.

LD
I have to agree, Roberts other books are great also. read Arundel and Rabble in Arms also

Posts: 109 | Location: NH | Registered: 05 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post