muzzleloadermag.infopop.cc
What is your favorite book?

This topic can be found at:
https://muzzleloadermag.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/11610091/m/3264031338

15 August 2013, 07:39 PM
B Staley
What is your favorite book?
I'm reading A demand for blood the Cherokee war of 1776. So far it's a good read......Smiler

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.
18 August 2013, 02:16 PM
MNew
" Patriot Battles " By Michael Stephenson How the War for Independence was fought. It has been a eye opener so far. M. New
22 August 2013, 05:54 PM
Rio
Many great books but I'd have to go with

Life in the Rocky Mountains, Warren Angus Ferris

Rio
22 August 2013, 08:36 PM
scoundrel
A real good book that I haven't seen mentioned here is "Tough Trip Through Paradise" by Andrew Garcia, edited by Bennett Stein. It is a more recent time period than most of what I read, taking place in 1878, but is a very good story. Takes place in Montana and is non-fiction. Last printing is by the University of Idaho and unfortunately doesn't contain the pictures that the old one did.
08 October 2013, 12:04 PM
71Eagle
The Big Sky. (Fiction)

A host of biographies (nonfiction):

Kit Carson
John Colter, etc.
03 November 2013, 04:09 PM
noisemaker
I have been trying to read the Allen Eckert series in order and have gotten to "Twilight of Empire". Others I have read include the Titus Bass trilogy by Terry C. Johnston. I have all 9 of those books so I need to go back there. "Notes on the Settlement and Indian Wars" by Rev. Dodderidge, "the Long Hunt" by Ted Franklin Belue, "Scoouwa: James Smith's Indian Captivity Narrative", "Rockhouses and Rhododendron", "Sons of a Trackless Forest", "Seedtime on the Cumberland", and more. Some I would like to read include "Year of the Hangman" by Glen F. Williams, "The Burning of the Valleys" by Gavin K. Watt, "History of the Girtys" and others. Hard to pick a favorite, although I'm leaning toward the Eckert series.
06 November 2013, 08:07 AM
Rifleman1776
There is no single 'best' I can pick out. I usually drift to historical fiction. The reading is both interesting and informative. Pure history can be a tedious read. Currenty reading a h/s about the British navy set in 1803 about their war with France and Spain on the seas. Hard to imagine why someone would volunteer to be a seaman in those days, the conditions were inbeliveably harsh. Explains why so many had to be forcibly impressed.
06 November 2013, 06:18 PM
bonedog
I've read a lot of good books over the years, but if I have to choose something other than the Bible is would still be the classic I loved first. Treasure Island by Robert Stevenson
06 November 2013, 08:05 PM
larryp
At the moment I'm reading the Pilgrim's Bible- The Geneva 1599 translation.
06 November 2013, 09:58 PM
volatpluvia
Larryp,
I bet that is fun. I'm trying to get as much as I can out of the Nueva Version International, the Spanish Bible. It is a real challenge on any given day, having only been working with español for five years now.
León

pistuo deo lalo
07 November 2013, 12:32 PM
flintlockjim
My favorite book would have to be the Bible first then "The Frontiersman" By Alan W. Eckert
13 January 2014, 03:34 PM
Patrick R.
I received "The Knife in Homespun America" by Madison Grant for Christmas. So far, it is one of the neatest books I have ever owned.

"...having Providence for their founder and Nature for shepherd, gardener, and historian."
13 January 2014, 06:05 PM
White Finger
Too many good books but trying to narrow it down to just one; "A Majority of Scoundrels", by Don Berry is one that most often pops into my head.

Load fast and aim slow.
07 March 2014, 12:36 AM
jerry huddleston
Peter Scene Ogden's journals.
#2 = Astorians [washington Irving]

http://jwh-flintlocks.net/gr-top-medium.jpg
30 March 2014, 11:09 AM
fowl
3/4 way through "Chronicals of the Cumberland settlements 1779-1796
author..Paul Clements
nice maps by George M Clements.
10 years in the making
The raw facts are brutal...No easy life on the frontier.....This book gives the perspectives from 3-4 sides.
maps corresponding to time frame in the chronological order although out the book.

700 plus pages 130 pages of end notes and indexes.
A must read if you live in that area of the country.

http://www.americanjourneys.org/
30 March 2014, 12:58 PM
scoundrel
I'm currently reading David Thompson's "Columbia Journals". Interesting, but certainly no fun to read. Just finished re-reading Bernard DeVoto's "Across the Wide Missouri". A Classic for people with my interests. Top favorites remain Osbourne Russell's "Journal of a Trapper". If I were limited to only one book that would be it. Don Berry's "A majority of Scoundrels", Which would be my second place, and Steven Ambrose's "Undaunted Courage". There really are a lot of very good books that I would not want to be without.
31 March 2014, 09:11 PM
Papa
Any and all of the Allan Eckert books. All historic novels on the Ohio Valley and the middle ground.
Mark
31 March 2014, 09:32 PM
volatpluvia
I just finished reading, THE ART OF POWER, by Jon Meecham. It is about the political life of Thomas Jefferson.
I was shocked to find out that so many Federalist wanted to have a king or a life long presidency. They wanted this for stability. They were willing to have George III be their king again! Or they wanted some Earl or such to come and be the king. I can't believe that I have never heard this before in any history class that I was required to take, or any other book I have ever read.
Jefferson fought them tooth and nail to keep the Republic. Fascinating reading.
León

pistuo deo lalo
01 April 2014, 08:57 AM
Fiddlesticks
Bible. Only book I know of that I'd read constantly for 43 years - and come up feeling gooood every time. Historically correct, too.

Have a sizable library of American histories. Can't put my finger on my axual favorite. You fellas have mentioned some dandies . . .

Biblethumper'sticks

As long as there's Limb Bacon a man'll eat! (But mebbe not his wife...)
01 April 2014, 10:08 PM
volatpluvia
I have now started to read Don Quixote by Cervantes. I know it preceeds the colonial American days, but it is supposted to be a fun story. My kindle fire XD has me reading some classics that I never sprang for before, and dirt cheap as well.
León

pistuo deo lalo