MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  History    Here's some history... sort of
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Here's some history... sort of
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted
Apropos of nothing much at all, today - July 14, also known as Bastille Day, is a day I expect I'll remember for as long as I still have. Forty-nine years ago today about 9:40 in the morning, I was commissioned a 2Lt of Infantry, there at Fort Benning, a graduate of Benning School for Boys (AKA Officer Candidate School). My application, acceptance and graduation was part of a push to get trained a fairly large batch of cannon fodder needed then in the lovely wilds of Viet Nam, Republic of. It appeared that they were going through lieutenants like chili at a hot dog stand.

Oh well, I made it through two tours there in Vietnam, Republic of and one in Korea with the 2d Div in and out of the the DMZ (although I'm still not sure what the hell that place is supposed to be besides NOT RECOMMENDED!).

Nice folks as I recall, in both countries, but the main difference between a Vietnamese or Korean rice paddy and an their out houses is that the out houses often have roofs of some sort and so viewing the stars is better in the rice paddy. Both end up with the major product of the out house.

It's still good to be back!!!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MountainRanger,

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
Well sir, can honestly say that I too am glad you're back, and proud to be conversing with you.
I cannot say that I can relate to your experiences, nor sure that I desire to, but I can say from someone north of the border an honest Thank You for it. You make us all proud.
Take care always.
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Good show, Mountainranger. Welcome back.
I will always remember July 5, 1966 as the day I left to go to boot camp. I had just graduated high school a month before that. I had my 18th birthday in boot camp. Navy.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
Thanks gentlemen. Rancocas, my entry date was 28 July, 66.

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I'm proud of all of you.Thanks,guys....I let my butting contest with my Dad get in the way of doing Service,an' it's too late now,but I'll thank you for your service....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post