MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  History    The Greatest Mountain Man?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Greatest Mountain Man?
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
Picture of TrapperGale
posted
Mountain men were so much more than just fur trappers, they were explorers who traversed and traveled routes previously unknown, paving the way for future generations to move westward. Today, many view manifest destiny with a jaundiced eye, ashamed of the conquering and taming of the vast wilderness that is America; however, for good or bad, these men earned their place in history with their undaunted courage and zest for exploration.

While a trip undertaken with any one of the approximately 400 known mountain men, would have made for an exciting, dangerous journey – there is one man who stands out for his leadership and bravery. This man isn’t as well known as Kit Carson, Jed Smith or Jim Bridger, but for miles traversed and men lost, his record stands above them all. He may well have been the greatest mountain man of all time.

Interested? More here: http://trapperswildwest.wordpr...-never-heard-of-him/

Posts: 7 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 19 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Actually, I had hear of Joe Walker, but didn't know much about him.

Another who I consider one of the greatest mountain men was Alexander MacKensie. Some might not consider him a mountain man, but he was one of the first whites to cross the Rockies, probably the first, and also explored up into the Artic for the Hudson Bay Co.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Leonard
posted Hide Post
Anyone who has read Zenas Leonard's Narrative or this book:

http://books.google.com/books/...html?id=h7BQjaTxHy8C

knows about Joe Walker.

Posts: 46 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 28 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Crawdad
posted Hide Post
I agree wholeheartedly. A lot of settlers to California owe their lives to the trails that Joe Walker discovered at the risk of his own life. It’s a shame he didn’t catch the limelight that the others have.

Posts: 678 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
I would add a vote for "Old Solitaire" Bill Williams.

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Posts: 212 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 17 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of NWTF Longhunter
posted Hide Post
Probly the toughest sum-bich was Hugh Glass

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.co...-glass-mountain-man/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Glass

This message has been edited. Last edited by: NWTF Longhunter,

Posts: 797 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 29 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Would be impossible to say who was the greatest mountain man. Since their main reason for being there was collecting fur and exploring was a in connection with that purpose the top brigade leaders such as Bridger, Fitzpatrick and Jackson, who were very good at that would probably be high on my list. Those who were the most productive as explorers such as Smith and Walker were not as productive. If your whole idea of a great mountain man is all about exploration don't leave out Alexander Mackenzie and David Thomson. One reason that Thomas Jefferson was so anxious to get the Corp of Discovery launched might be Mackenzie's inscription "Alexander Mackenzie from Canada by land July 22 1793". Jo walker was a great leader and explorer but not so good in terms of fur production, which added to Bonneville's heartburn. Later successes in the horse business may have mitigated his failures in the fur business though.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Willis Creek
posted Hide Post
William Sublette, due to his mastery of the mechanics of field work, and his mastery of the financial end of the business. He not only made beaver packs, he then figured out how to make money. My second entry would be Thomas 'Broken Hand' Fitzpatrick, due to his skills in evading the Indians on his way to rendezvous. His survival was a testament to mountain skills.

"touch not the cat without a glove"
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Posts: 143 | Location: South of the Arkansas, on the slopes of St. Charles Peak, Colorado territory | Registered: 25 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
There are a whole lot of those guys whose ability to master the elements of their habitat and the dangers of their circumstances are exceptional. In terms of toughness and determination Hugh Glass Comes to the top. John Colter's solo explorations and survival of extreme circumstances are amazing. Black Harris had every qualification and his winter trips to St. Louis with William Sublette are almost unbelievable, especially the one from Cache Valley (Willow Valley then). A couple of Osborn Russell's ordeals. I don't think anyone today has the qualifications to judge. And there are certainly many unknown examples.

Factor
posted Hide Post
Ya,the ones that "Almost" made it back.....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I would have to agree that walker was probably the most important mountain man.
we are only talking of American men though.
Peter Scene Ogden will probably come in second. Every body should read his journals.

Posts: 16 | Location: Baker City, Oregon | Registered: 21 June 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
I'll vote for Kit Carson

Posts: 140 | Registered: 18 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Osborne Russell born in the Kennebec Valley Bowdoinham village, Maine wrote "Journal of a Trapper", first mass produced in 1914. Little know but no less important. Book is listed on WWW.ABEBOOKS.COM

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
My vote goes to "Broken Hand", Tom Fitzpatrick. He had the skills and courage to survive the Mountains, and the intellect to explore and discover the unknown regions of the
West.

" You do with your scalp as you wish and don't be telling us what to with ours."

Posts: 158 | Location: lake champlain, vt | Registered: 03 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of 71Eagle
posted Hide Post
I'd have to vote for Kit Carson, more for his total accomplishments than anything.

Posts: 12 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
My vote goes to Thomas"Broken Hand" Fitzpatrick,,after all he endured and kept his top-knot,that is a wiley trapper Wink

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
MtnMike,do you have a link to any info on this Fitzpatrick guy?

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
That info is all over and you can buy his biography. Might be some stuff about him on the AMM site, I can't remember. Google him.

Booshway
Picture of woodman
posted Hide Post
After long and hard deliberation on who was the best, I would have to say Davey Jackson. He always brought in the plews, and never lost his entire brigade like Smith.

Posts: 357 | Location: Colorado Territories | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I think Woodman is right. As don Berry mentioned, his parties didn't include anyone with a journal, so we don't know the details we would like. But while Jed Smith was losing men and money and William Sublette was handling business David Jackson was bringing home the bacon for SJS. At least he has his name on a beautiful place and lake.