MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  History    A company of riflemen from Reading
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A company of riflemen from Reading
 Login/Join

Pilgrim
posted
While reading in the Journals of Henry Melchior Muhlenberg, I came across an interesting entry that I thought would find interest here also.
July 23, 1776 "Again, in the evening, there arrived here a company of riflemen, or sharpshooters, from Reading on their march to Jersey. Most of them are native youngsters, from in and around Reading, who learned bushfighting like that of the Indians. They are also clad in Indian fashion and are armed with rifles and tomahawks. Their outer shirts are shaggy, almost like the pictures of satyrs, fauns, or sylvan spirits of ancient times."
Muhlenberg was in Providence (Trappe) Pennsylvania when he penned this. Trappe is in Upper Providence township Montgomery County (Philadelphia County in Muhlenberg's day) Pennsylvania about 30 miles from Philadelphia on the Ridge Pike to Reading. Muhlenberg was a Lutheran pastor and kept extensive journals of his ministerial work and daily life from his arrival from Germany in 1742 until his death in 1787.
Mark Poley

Posts: 71 | Location: Yellville,Ar | Registered: 08 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
Are you reading this online thru the Univ of Penn or other source? I found this on Amazon for $348.00. A bit steep for my budget. Still, it really sounds interesting. Thank you for sharing.

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
MountainRanger, I have all three volumes that I bought off of Ebay, one at a time, several years ago. I think I picked them up for $20- $50 a piece. Volume 1 covers 1742-1763, volume 2 1764-1776, and volume 3 from 1777-1787. My main interest in them originally was that Muhlenberg was the pastor of the Augustus Lutheran church in Trappe from 1742 until around 1770. My family is from Trappe and several of my ancestors were members of Muhlenberg's congregation, therefore are mentioned in the journals. There are roughly 750 pages to each volume, and the F&I war years and the revolutionary war years are particularly interesting. For instance, he mentions hearing the cannon fire at Brandywine, about 35 miles away. A lot of church business is entered but a lot of daily life entries also.
Mark

Posts: 71 | Location: Yellville,Ar | Registered: 08 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
I think that is great that you have that documentation of your family... a time and a place, and part of a congregation of someone who's writings have come down to us and giving specifics of whatever was going on at the time of the writings. I'll start looking for them on other sources like eBay.

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post