Notify
Tools
Add Comment
Beaver Hunter's Gear
 Login/Join

Pilgrim
Picture of Beaver Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sting! I purchased the flag from the Fort Union Association. They sell many top quality reproduction fur trade items. Here is the link to the flag: http://www.fortuniontp.org/ThemeItems.html

Posts: 76 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 03 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Do you have a sutler's "list" of where you got alot our your equipment?
Should I contact you offline for it?

I see quite a few items I would love to add to my gear

Posts: 14 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 07 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of Beaver Hunter
posted Hide Post
Sting,

I have a document organized by categories with all of my links and contacts. I would be happy to share it with you.

Posts: 76 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 03 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Well BH everything looks right pretty, n for what its worth thats where ya got the biggest problem hehehe, put that stuff on yer back n wear it, sweat in it, get it dirty, clean off yer knife on yer thigh or yer forearm. Put them mocsa on n go cut the grass or take a walk in the woods, one good long nasty weathered weekend n it will all looked lived in hee, nice stuff my friend n just teaseing

Posts: 964 | Location: south eastern Pa | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Newoodsrunner
posted Hide Post
i got my glasses from Jas Townsend for around 40 dollars it cost me 100 dollars for the lens well this year i went to get new lens and they were up to 150+ dollars guess i'm wearing my old one for awhile

Posts: 461 | Location: SW Okla | Registered: 02 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Newoodsrunner
posted Hide Post
i got my glasses for around 40 dollars from Jas Townsend but it cost me 100 dollars for the lens this year i wanted new lens put in and it would have cost me 150+dollars so i guess i'm going wait awhile before i get a new pair

Posts: 461 | Location: SW Okla | Registered: 02 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of Beaver Hunter
posted Hide Post
Birdman, Thanks! It is crazy how much dirt brain tan picks up after just one season of use. It sure is fun getting out and putting the clothing and gear to the test.

Newoodsrunner, I picked up an original pair of eye glasses dated to the mid 1830's. They look almost like the ones Jas Townsend sells. I had an eye doctor from Colorado install my prescription lenses in them. She charged me around $125. Hopefully they last me awhile!

Hivernant
Picture of Pare-
posted Hide Post
That is probably THE best set of clothing, accoutrements and cookware that I've ever seen. Everything is documented to what was commonly had by hunters and trappers. Very nice job and well researched!

Pare-

Posts: 104 | Location: Little River, I.T. | Registered: 06 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of Beaver Hunter
posted Hide Post
Pare- Thank you very much for the nice compliment!

Hivernant
Picture of Pare-
posted Hide Post
Where did you get your oval striker? I got mine from the late Mike Ameling. Did you use wool flannel for your blue capote? I wish someone would reproduce some gray saved list. I think that would make a really nice looking coat for fall weather. It would blend in well, too. I still want to get a Rob Stone blanket as well. One day, I guess...

Pare-

Posts: 104 | Location: Little River, I.T. | Registered: 06 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of Beaver Hunter
posted Hide Post
Pare-

I purchased the striker from a friend in Colorado, who at the time had a small business selling fur trade goods. He no longer has that business. My capote is made from the boiled (fulled) wool that Flying Canoe Traders from Canada uses for their capotes. At the time they sold me just the fabric. However, because of new regulations, they are no longer able to sell just the fabric or do custom orders. They are only selling the finished capote. Sorry, that isn't much help.

However, William Draper Booth sells a period correct Navy broadcloth, that would make a nice capote. It is made from original techniques and is museum quality. It is woven in England to specific standards and has the same appearance, drape, weave, milling, finish and hard hand as broadcloth made in the late 18th century.

I purchased some and it is great stuff! It would make a nice capote. It is really dense and sheds water perfectly! William Draper Booth also sells a gray broadcloth. I used it to make a Miller Hood. However, it isn't as thick as their museum quality navy broadcloth, but it is a lot cheaper!

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Really nice :-) Best greetings from Poland.

Czarek

Keep yer powder dry,

Posts: 3 | Location: Poland, Warsaw, Pionki | Registered: 19 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of Beaver Hunter
posted Hide Post
I updated the album with photos of new items added to my gear. The biggest change is my rifle. I was fortunate enough to obtain a J.J. Henry English pattern trade rifle made by Steve Hill with parts from Larry Walker. It is an excellent addition and really rounds out my Rocky Mountain trapper gear.

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I concur with the rest. Top draw set of gear. Makes me think I should be a bit patient rather than fill the Morraccon trunk with store bought foofaraw. I too would be interested in the document you mentioned for documenting your outfit.

Apaws

Posts: 3 | Location: Days ride south of Beckwourth Pass | Registered: 18 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Come out here for a visit and get it dirty Ryan, it'll even look better.

Rio
AKA Tom

Posts: 140 | Registered: 18 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post