MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  Gallery of Black Powder Craftsmen  Hop To Forums  Folks at the 'Fire    Beaver Hunter's Gear (Personal Album)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Add Comment
Beaver Hunter's Gear
 Login/Join

by Beaver Hunter (created on )Gallery | Comments 
Pilgrim
Picture of Beaver Hunter
I portray a trapper for the American Fur Company in the mid 1830's.

I photographed my clothing and gear to share what I have created. Please feel free to comment and give advice. I enjoy feedback and learning from others.

Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Beaver Hunter,

Posts: 76 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 03 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Very nice, You have put in alot of time and research into your gear. Good work.

Heck no, you'er the sort that gives that sort a bad name.
Trapper 54cal

Posts: 605 | Location: Los Alamos, New Mexico | Registered: 18 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Snakebite
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I gotta echo what Trapper said. Very well made and I appreciate the research and work that went into your possibles. Nice job.

Keep looking up! (He's coming back)

Posts: 649 | Location: Along the Humboldt | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
A very nice looking set of plunder.
Next time i see them i want to see that you have put them thru Honest Use...

Posts: 358 | Location: Flat Lands of West Tennessee | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
That stuff looks great! Do you go to many Rodys or do you go on treks or both? What sort of rifle is that, a Henry maybe? Again the stuff looks great! Best regards. Rockerhound

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 15 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Will Ghormley
posted Hide Post
That is a grand kit Beaver Hunter. Obviously you've spent a lot of time on the research and construction. My question is, is your #5 functional? You trappin' the north country this winter?

Will

"When Liberty is illegal, only outlaws will be free." Will Ghormley

In 1913, the gold and silver backed dollar was worth a dollar. Today, that same greenback is worth 3 cents. In just under 100 years, the Federal Reserve Bank has made the dollar virtually worthless. Will Ghormley

"Exploit your strengths. Compensate for your weaknesses." Will Ghormley

Posts: 657 | Location: Ankeny, Iowa | Registered: 28 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Beaver Hunter,

Well done Brother! Waugh! Now you need to get true trail wear on your outfit and you will be right there. Keep us up dated. Its great to see another interested in the fur trade of the far west.

Yes I too own a iron mounted Henry by the same maker. Mine is of 32 balls to the pound. Yes Henry did make them for the AMFco. I do have bits and parts of their spec's to Henry. They are on inventory list and cost as much as Hawkens did and not many were made.

Posts: 350 | Location: Whitewater, CO. | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of Beaver Hunter
posted Hide Post
Will, The trap is functional. It is a great old trap that I found at an auction. The trap is all hand forged. The springs are a little weak, but it would still work to trap.

I used to help my dad and uncle check their traps and stretch hides when I was a kid. They did a lot of trapping back then. Mostly mink, muskrat, and some beaver. I would like to get back into trapping now that I am done with college and have more time. Thanks!

Posts: 76 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 03 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Will Ghormley
posted Hide Post
Hey Beaver Hunter,

Now would be the time to start back up. You can get replacement springs for your trap from websites that cater to trappers.

I was goin' to forge my own #5s so I started doin' some research. In the end, I saw that some modern traps aren't that much different from some of the originals. So, I decided to "modify" a line of modern traps, retro-fittin' 'em to look and function as the originals did.

I'll make my own chain for 'em and travel around in my dugout to set 'em. I myself haven't trapped since before I went into the service. I was in for 12, been out for 17 or 18, and I'm sure I'm pretty rusty. It's taken me over a year just to get my traps together. I should be ready when the season opens November 6th.

Good Luck!
Will

"When Liberty is illegal, only outlaws will be free." Will Ghormley

In 1913, the gold and silver backed dollar was worth a dollar. Today, that same greenback is worth 3 cents. In just under 100 years, the Federal Reserve Bank has made the dollar virtually worthless. Will Ghormley

"Exploit your strengths. Compensate for your weaknesses." Will Ghormley

Posts: 657 | Location: Ankeny, Iowa | Registered: 28 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Sage Rider
posted Hide Post
Howdy Beaver Hunter

It's impressive to see someone go to the lengths you have in order to get it right. You can do my outfit anytime! I too have been enjoying the beginnings of trekking and getting it right!!! Thanks for the great pics.

"Don't Retreat, just reload"

Posts: 411 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Where can I get a hat like that?

Posts: 2 | Location: texas | Registered: 19 October 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info.

Posts: 2 | Location: texas | Registered: 19 October 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Beaver Hunter, Good lookin' plunder, for sure. Shoot sharp's the word, Mike

Posts: 3531 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of TurtleDave
posted Hide Post
great photos and great looking gear.

Member #277 Mo. State Rep. for the Traditional Muzzleloading Association
"The reason a dog has so many friends,He wags his tail instead of his tongue"

Posts: 381 | Location: Butler, Missouri | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of crow
posted Hide Post
Great to see your gift of a true craftsman , may God bless you in your Journey .... crow

This message has been edited. Last edited by: crow,

Posts: 23 | Location: California , SF | Registered: 17 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
i really, really like the canteen. watch yer topknot.

Posts: 62 | Registered: 06 October 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I apologize in advance if I sound a negative note but from the one photo I can see, I would question your glasses. They look pretty modern to me. Now, let me assure you that I'm no expert on eyewear so if you know they're appropriate than I apologize for bringing it up. In my limited experience it seems like most people get the big items correct but some of the small, more personal items never get addressed.

Just my two cents. Take care and until our paths should cross...Be well.

snapper

Posts: 13 | Registered: 04 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Nice looking gera all the way around, I have not been "into" that period for nearly 20 years but it looks like you have done a good job on your kit, and the Newouse traps of the 1950s' are quite close to the traps of the 1830-40 period, I used to use many that were made in the late 19th century and they were still strong, these would pass for period traps in all,but the strictest events the shorter chain on some is the main drawback as well as the lettering on the pan and springs if it still remains, removing this though can really reduce the collectors value, I once found a small #0 Newhouse in a box of other traps that dated to around 1895+/- that still had the spring and pan lettering and only a fine layer of "powder' rust on it.any Newhouse with ATC (Animal Trap Company) on it is pre 1923 the time Onieda sold out.

Posts: 58 | Registered: 29 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Your gear looks great. You obiviously put in a lot of work on the research end of things and in putting together.

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Great lookin' gear, I'd love to have all that.
Where'd you get that AFC flag?

Posts: 14 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 07 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post