MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  Gallery of Black Powder Craftsmen  Hop To Forums  Folks at the 'Fire    Prospectin' for Gold (Personal Album)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Add Comment
Prospectin' for Gold
 Login/Join

by Will Ghormley (created on )Gallery | Comments 
Booshway
Picture of Will Ghormley
I just got back from prospectin' in Colorado. I put together a brief history of the role the search for gold played in openin' up southwest Colorado. Here is the link for the webpage:

http://www.willghormley-maker....uthwestColorado.html

It's not all pre-1840, but it is all fun!
Will

Posts: 657 | Location: Ankeny, Iowa | Registered: 28 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Bookie
posted Hide Post
Nice website and great photos. I have been panning since before I had white hair. Still do here monthly in Iowa. Started in New South Wales. Did Colorado 2 years ago. Glad to see the artice. Cheers, Bookie

Newton Lodge #59 AF & AM

Posts: 2007 | Location: Corn Patch, Iowa | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Will Ghormley
posted Hide Post
Well Hey Bookie,

Do you do period re-enactment prospectin', or just prospectin'? Where do ya' go in Iowa. My brother sent me a copy of an email about prospecters here in Iowa prospectin' last weekend. I had to give a leather class, otherwise, I would'a packed up the little boys and headed out to see what was up.

Will

"When Liberty is illegal, only outlaws will be free." Will Ghormley

In 1913, the gold and silver backed dollar was worth a dollar. Today, that same greenback is worth 3 cents. In just under 100 years, the Federal Reserve Bank has made the dollar virtually worthless. Will Ghormley

"Exploit your strengths. Compensate for your weaknesses." Will Ghormley

Posts: 657 | Location: Ankeny, Iowa | Registered: 28 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Hoot Al
posted Hide Post
Will,

I started up a Gold Prospector's Association in Iowa couple years ago and was the state director till I had to head to Michigan. I'm back now. Bookie and I are prospecting buddies and have prospected from California to the outback in New South Wales, Australia.

You use the same principles as they did in the pre-1840's along the Eastern coastal mountains in the U.S.

Hoot AL

hootalrifleshop.org

Posts: 1400 | Location: Rolling Hills of Iowa | Registered: 26 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Will Ghormley
posted Hide Post
Hey Hoot Al,

Welcome back to the Ioway country. I should hook up with you ol' grubbers and larn some thangs. With this new "Change you can believe in" economy, it might be well worth my time to learn how to chase color more effectively, and soon!

I'd still like to pan British Columbia and Alaska. Maybe California if I could find a spot not too crowded up.

Will

"When Liberty is illegal, only outlaws will be free." Will Ghormley

In 1913, the gold and silver backed dollar was worth a dollar. Today, that same greenback is worth 3 cents. In just under 100 years, the Federal Reserve Bank has made the dollar virtually worthless. Will Ghormley

"Exploit your strengths. Compensate for your weaknesses." Will Ghormley