Find
Notify
Tools
Add Comment
Two shooting bags
 Login/Join

by <sparks> (created on )Gallery | Comments 
<sparks>
Sparks and Mrs. Stone's shooting bags, both of which I made.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Very nice bags!, I like the idea of the strap keeper on the flap.

Posts: 106 | Location: Eastern West Virginia | Registered: 04 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Mighty fine, Sparks! My 'puteratin' machine has been defunkilated for a few days so I'm just now able to see'um.

Makes me want to get aholt of a new one for my rifle---the one I have is only 25-30 years old.

I'll be lookin' these over again.

Fiddlesticks

As long as there's Limb Bacon a man'll eat! (But mebbe not his wife...)

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Packdog
posted Hide Post
Nice looking bag Sparks. I love seeing what others are doing. Thanks for sharing the pics

Ken

Posts: 1534 | Location: Signal Mt, TN | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Snakebite
posted Hide Post
Great job there Sparks. Say, what did you use for sewing utensils? Did you use an awl first or just a needle? And if a needle where do you get one big enough to hold the twine? I've never attempted to do any sewing like that and was wondering.

Keep looking up! (He's coming back)

Posts: 649 | Location: Along the Humboldt | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<sparks>
posted
Snakebite,
The basic sewing tools for veg tanned leather are linen thread (from Tandy Leather or similar supplier), saddle stitching needles, and a good sharp awl.

In the picture displaying the knife and sheath, the thread the knife is resting on is linen. I got it on ebay, and I think it was from a shoemakers sewing machine. It has three ends! Saddle stitching needles (harness needles?) are blunt. Blunt is ok since the holes are punched with the awl. The threading hole on those needles is a mite small for me, so I use tapestry needles from the fabric store. All my leather sewing is 'saddle stitched,' which requires a needle on both ends of the thread. Both needles go through the same hole in opposite directions. There are books and probably places online where you can see how that is done. Tandy Leather is a source for the books.

There are additional tools one can use to make a groove for the stitches to lie in, and also a wheel to mark where to punch evenly spaced holes and dress up the completed stitching. But for just getting started with the sewing all you need is an awl, thread and a couple needles.

Feel free to contact me off line for further information.
Sparks

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
sparks thats some very nice work you did there ---I like the cross hatch lines very neat

Posts: 2 | Registered: 09 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Tuscarora
posted Hide Post
Sparks,

Very nice bags. What kind of leather did you use?

Tuscarora

Posts: 352 | Location: Nueva Helvetia en Alta California | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<sparks>
posted
Thanks, Ole Baldy!
I've never been one to do fancy tooling (never learned) but I like making geometric designs on the leather...mostly edging and cross hatches. I just use the bone folder and a ruler for that...no fancy tools.

Tuscarora, I appreciate your comment.
I just took a close look at the leather and compared it with the thickness chart in a Tandy Leather Factory catalog. The leather is Oak (Vegetable) tanned and in the 5 to 6 ounce weight.

Sparks