MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  Gallery of Black Powder Craftsmen  Hop To Forums  Gallery of Accoutrements    Latest horn from the shop. (Personal Album)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Add Comment
Latest horn from the shop.
 Login/Join

by Mike Shaffer (created on )Gallery | Comments 
Hivernant
Only the second one this year. One more on the way.

Posts: 106 | Location: Eastern West Virginia | Registered: 04 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
I plan to add some spots or a pattern to the horn, as soon as I find some lead oxide. That is if I don't sale it before.

Posts: 106 | Location: Eastern West Virginia | Registered: 04 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Is the tip and ring pewter? How did you fabricate them?
I think the horn is great by the way, you did a good job.

Posts: 111 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
The tip and ring are pewter. To make the tip I used 2 blocks of wood that when put together form a square. "Do not use wood that has been glued!" It will come apart on you. Mark the center of the block, the X should go from corner to corner. the lines will help you find the center of the spout after you pour the pewter. Screw the blocks together before you drill.

A drill press is needed for the next few steps. Figure out what size you want to make the spout. Say you want the base of the spout to be 5/8 in. outside dim. after turning, you would need to use a 3/4 in. spade bit and drill to the depth that you want. next you will use a smaller spade bit to make the hole deeper, or how long you want the tip to be. Pour the pewter and let it cool on it's own.

Find the center of the spout by using the X that is marked on the block. Use a spade bit to hollow out the base to the depth that you need to attach it to the horn. The bit should be the dim. of the horn tip.

Next drill a hole all the way through the pewter tip. It can be what ever size you need: 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" inch. Next you will need a Tap that will be threaded into the the spout and the Tap will be chucked onto the lathe for turning.

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
To make the ring I used a 3/4 inch pine board. Find the outside dim. of the horn and mark this on the board using a compass, widen the compass by about 1/4 in. and add another circle.

Next you will need to determine the angle at the base of the horn where the ring will be seated. This angle will be needed at the band saw table. Tilt the table to the angle needed. Cut out the wood between the 2 circles. Attach the 2 pieces to another flat board using wood screws. Try to center the smaller circle as best you can. It might help to draw an X across the board before you draw your circles and make your cuts. Pour the pewter into the wood mold and let cool.

From here you will need to turn a tapered cylinder that matches the angle of the ring and pin it to the cylinder using wood pegs. All that is left to do is turn the ring.

Try to fit the ring to the horn before turning by scraping on the inside of the ring if it looks to be a close fit. You may have to adjust, cut and pour a few times to get it right. It took me 3 times. Good luck to all. Mike