Find
Notify
Tools
Add Comment
Cow's Knee
 Login/Join

by <sparks> (created on )Gallery | Comments 
<sparks>
A cow's knees is used to keep the lock covered to keep water from getting in the priming pan.

I wet formed poster board for the pattern, then cut out the oak tanned leather from the dried and flattened paper pattern. Saddle stitched with tapered thread from Springfield Leather Company, Inc.

The knee includes a welt, was sewn 'wrong side to wrong side,' then turned inside out and wet formed to the lock.

Finished with dye and a beeswax, mink oil and pine pitch compound.

Sparks

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
That's very nice!

Posts: 849 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 11 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of Talltree
posted Hide Post
Sparks my friend,
It looks very professional, not like my homemade attempt. So when are you going to bring it to the "Wet State", Oregon Territories, to see if it truly works?

Talltree

Keep your tail high and dry!

Posts: 173 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<sparks>
posted
Oh Friend Talltree!
I don't know that will happen. I have 'done my time' working on the Olympic Peninsula (west side) nine months at a stretch, and in the coast range off the central Oregon coast for a few years and I know what it is like to be wet!

Matter of fact, like most local residents on the OR coast, I actually got to the point where I didn't care if it was raining or not. However, when the stocks on my pre 1870 firearms started molding, and I found 'green suede shoes' in the closet where a few months earlier they were brown, I had had enough!

I might come back for a visit...since my brother and sister both live in the Tacoma/Seattle area still.

Sparks

<sparks>
posted
More on the cow's knee.

What isn't visible, is there is a loop sewn inside so that a lanyard can be attached from the cover to the sling attachment. The string you see hanging from the firearm has a vent pick on the other end.

Sparks